thl

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi just wandering if it is normal for leg ankle and foot to swell up it has been 6 days since my hop I am sleeping well on my back but feel very tired through the day I am resting in between

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

All normal,,,,you need to make sure you have your leg raised up when sitting... also put a cushion, pillow under the leg in bed.    I am 5 weeks and still get swelling your body has been through alot. 
  • Posted

Oh yes, so normal - loads of people get that, I had some swelling both times. Ice packs are your best friend for swellings as well as elevating the affected leg.

See my website for common complications and tips, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

yes, as others have said it is quite normal. That's why the TED stockings are so uncomfortable, I believe.

Keep doing your excercises and the day the stockings don't seem so bad will indicate less swelling as they do not shrink!

I am 5 weeks 4 days post right hip replacement, was discharged at 4 weeks 6 days and now walking without crutches. I had a similar recovery with my left hip 3 years ago. I still need a daytime sleep on my bed most days and am still sleeping on my back at night. Please remember we all heal at different rates so don't take my recovery as normal. 

I had dissolveable sutures which I believe helped me recover quicker as I haven't had any wound problems which others have reported.

Try to take things one day at a time, be prepared for 3 steps forward 2 back, try to stay positive and be kind to yourself and body. You have had an enormous operation - I know as I have been an orthopaedic theatre nurse and know from the other side what it entails.

I hope you have a steady recovery and wish you well.

Liz

• Posted

I am 5 weeks po and still using ice. Seems to ease the pain. Not much swelling that I can see since 3 weeks po. After a lot of walking, I take a Tylenol and sit with ice. 
  • Posted

Hi, I remember it took about 2 weeks before I could wear normal shoes.  Just in time to start serious training with the physical therapist.  Leg up
  • Posted

Hi Debbie! I too had swelling of foot and ankle. And cold foot and leg. I attribute mine to being non weight bearing for 6 weeks cause the elevation of leg really didn't do much, the minute I stood it would start to swell. It would get worse in the evening. I just started to bear weight this past Wednesday. I have noticed a big improvement. The swelling has gone down considerably no more cold. I was also using a sequential leg compression that squeezes you calf ever minute or so. The hose was so uncomfortable for me. But it is very common for this to happen. Hope it gets better and prayers for a speedy recovery!! Hugs, 🤗🤗 LD

• Posted

Hi Deb, First let me welcome you to the forum.  Secondly, i had my surger 3 months

​ago and i did wear compression socks for 6 weeks, did you wear those?  I wasnt even sent home from the hospital for 10 days, so you sound as if you are doing much better that I did.

• Posted

Hi Debbie....Yep, not only normal but to be expected. Some people get it worse than others. I had both hips replaced my right in May and my left last month. My right ankle swelled up so huge I thought the skin would burst. Now the left side I just had a little bit and it subsided quickly. Even now I occassionaly get swelling in the right if I have been on my feet all day long, but not the left...It is also normal to be tired during the day. Your body has been through a traumatic experience and it takes quite a while to heal. Rest and sleep is important, especially at this early stage. It helps you to heal to be rested. Remember not to over-do it. You certainly will know afterwards if you have. Listen to your body if you start to feel tired rest or if you start to feel pain it is also time to rest and maybe for an ice pack. Wishing you well....Barb
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

Our hips came into use on the same day. I hope you are doing okay.

This is my 2nd through and I had swelling in the thigh, legood, ankle and foot both times.

I've been luckier this time though as all symptoms seem less severe (knock on wood).

Swelling in ankle and foot happen most when I have been sitting up for a while, standing or limping about for too long. I guess that is normal as the swelling tends to gravitate to the lowest point. So, as Graham says in his post and other helpful info on his site, elevating them when resting (centre legs on a long lengthwise pilot and cushion under the pillow at the feet) and use cold packs for 10 min on the swelling and 20 off - never near your incision though. This usually helps manage the swelling and minimize pain. It is tough but this all eased off for me after ~ 10 days, so not too long to go - keeping in mind that everyone's is unique and dependent on many variables. And keeping circulation strong is an important component of this ... is finding the right balance for you between activities and exercises, aggravating swelling and resting as described above.

Good luck Debbie. I hope the rest of your recovery is very smooth.

Linda

• Posted

Thanks I have still got swelling and pain behind the calf been tired today so resting I manage to walk from my front door round to the back garden and back again just taking it one day at a time. Hope your recovery is good too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.