Meloxicam - side effects?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I am 34 years old and I was diagnosed with Ankolysing Spondylitis earlier this year following an MRI. The doctors have me on Meloxicam for the inflammation.

This past week I have had blood in my stools and nausea which is worrying me greatly. I have had no previous problems with my digestive system. Has anyone else had these side effects on this medication?

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow but would be interested to hear other's experience.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One of melixocams side effects is nausea. I don't know about the blood but I would definitely talk to your doctor about trying something else.

Refelen or diclofenac might help

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

?I'm not sure about the side effects of Meloxicam.  I never took it but AS itself tends to often attack the digestive system.  It is an equal opportunity inflammatory process and inflammatory bowel diseases frequently go hand in hand with AS.  It does seem a bit coincidental though that you get you the blood and nausea now for the first time after taking the new medicine.  It may indeed be the medicine but make sure your doctor addresses that problem.  Please let us know what the doctor says.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.

I went to the doctors today and he has told me that it won't be the Meloxicam causing the bleeding as it affects the stomach rather than the bowel (Apparently if you are bleeding from the stomach it wouldn't be visible to the naked eye by the time it has passed through your system and into the toilet)

He thinks the bleeding may be coming from the lower intestine and has referred me for a colonoscopy. Now of course I'm worried it's something much more serious...

• Posted

I have tried meloxicam. Same stuff happened to me. Honestly it sounds like an ulcer. I tried it for 1 cycle and I know it was eating a hole in my stomach. Found out I can't do NSAID's at all. The alternative are DRMAD's (maybe spelled wrong). Had better luck with them but greater risks of side effects. Feels like you have to pick the lesser of 2 evils. But really, what choice do we have, gotta try something. Ignoring it, will not make it go away. Best wishes, Indi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.