How to extend walking after total hip replacement whilst waiting for next

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a thr 8 weeks ago and am waiting for the other hip to be replaced in about two months. How did other people extend their range of walking in similar situations? I am keen to have returned to as much fitness as possible before the next one. Particularly because it will be winter (Dec) when it happens.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I cant answer your question about extending your walking.  

I did various exercies for well over a year to make the muscles stronger on the hip I just had replaced 8 weeks ago.  I also kept playing my various sports to the best of my ability to also to stay in as best shape as possible.

Good Luck biggrincheesygrin

• Posted

My situation is a little different but I did find that walking in a pool was a good way to get the walking in while taking some pressure off of the hips. If you have access to an indoor pool, consider trying that. 

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I doubt there is any single right answer for this. I was 7 weeks between thr's and to be honest, I was more concerned about stretgthening the first leg to support the 2nd. However, I have two thoughts: doing your exercises on both legsseemed to help me in the interim and seems to have helped with the second (I am now 6 days post-op; both were posterior approach). I swear by hydrotherapy as the weightlessness reduces impact on your joints and the extra resistance of the water makes exercises more effective. Specialty clinics have started up with physios attached and treadmills that operate underwater. Soooo relaxing and helpful. The one I attended also used special water jets to help stimulate lymphatic tissues to flush out fluids in the swelling that accumulates with this surgery.

Good luck to you.

L

• Posted

Hi Sue, I had my two hip replacements less than 3 months apart. The right was May 17 and the left was August 12. At first I was just walking fair, once I got over the initial healing, but unfortunately for me the left continued to deteriorate to the point that by the time my surgery date came around I could barely walk with a walker or crutches again. I think it depends on the person, age, overall health and how bad the other hip is. If you are able to walk and function and do so without extreme pain and discomfort then I don't see why you can't do it. Wishing you well...Barb

• Posted

Thank you all

The pool seems a good bet- I have a spondolythesis as well and walked NH is quite sore some days, I'm trying to do as much exercise as possible to get the left stronger before the next op l

• Posted

I went for the multiple short walks every day method, also I converted to using hiking poles instead of walking sticks (canes), as I found the sticks hurt my shoulders. The poles (see picture) were recommended by my physio as the hand grip is so much less stressful.

See my website for great tips from many contributors on this forum, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Thanks

Wandering about trying my Nordic walking poles- has anyone else used them

• Posted

they sound great to me - my poles had built in shock-absorbers in them which was a help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.