11 WEEKS POST IS THIS STILL EARLY IN RECOVERY?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Hippies I'm still not able to sleep on my un operated side at 11 weeks in comfort, and still uncomfy

around scar area and a little puffy still, I try to keep

busy around house and garden for most of day if

I can, but really hurt the next day around hip ,

pelvic area and back can't see me going back

to cleaning job next week don't want to undo

the hard work I've done to this point.Does any

one else feel like this 11 weeks is it still early

in recovery,will GP give me another sick note.

Your thoughts would be great all you lovely

Hippies out there you've helped me so much.

Big hugs xxx

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna I'm at 8 weeks RTHR. I am walking more but if I push it can be really sore the next day. Also back to work but mostly not too physical. Be careful about going back to work too soon. You have to push yourself but also know when to stop. It just takes time but you will get there.

• Posted

Hi Dave thanks for advice that's my problem

knowing when enough enough and feeling

the hurt next day.Lots of hugs xxx

• Posted

I was shocked when my Dr said 6 months before you are healed and up to 12 months before your body has completly back to normal.

So YES it is very early days yet, please don't over extend yourself if you can manage without going to work take the extra time, you will feel better for it I'm sure.

Took me about 6 months before I could lie on my operated side, and still 18 months later it doesn't hurt, but gets very tired feeling and starts to get uncomfortable if I insist on pushing it.

• Posted

Hi Lyn thank you for your advice it's so good

to talk I'm going to take extra time of work

I waited so long to get my new hip(o/a and

bone on bone) I'm not going to ruin things

by going back when don't feel ready will

see GP .Thanks and lots of hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Anna,

If you feel at all uncertain about returning to work then your Dr should give you another sick note.   Your job is physical and even mentally you are worried so that should be enough to have more time off.   

Be patient we all heal differently x

• Posted

Thank you Elaine it's good to have all this advice lots of love xxx

• Posted

Hi Anna, You are still healing, My surgeon told me the muscles can take up to 2 years to recover. I m 1 year post RTHR, still get tight muscles now and again, still gets a bit inflamed if I overdo it,. It took me a while to sleep on my unoperated side and I had terrible trouble sleeping for months afterwards. Couldnt lay on my operated side for months it ws just too uncomfortable but I dif have nerve damge which has finally resolved. We all heal at differnt paces. Listen to your body xx
  • Posted

Anna, Just a word of encouragement.  Don't sweat not being able to lie on the unoperated side at 11 weeks.

I, too, at 11 weeks had a lot of discomfort doing it.  And the thing is, as everyone keeps saying, everyone reaches their goals at different stages.

What really happens in this healing process is that, one day, all of the sudden, 

when you least expect it,  you turn to your side and all of the sudden, you're actually doing it.   And you say, wow, I couldn't do this yesterday and NOW I CAN.

When it happens, it comes as a pleasant surprise.

So it happens just like that.  When your body decides it's time, it just happens

suddenly with ease.  

Remember to put that pillow in between your two legs and gently slide over to your side.  The pillow makes the gliding over easier. And keep the pillow there for comfort.

So give it time and your body will tell you when the time is right and you can do it comfortably and it suddenly works.  Practice once in a while and don't push it when you feel your hip is stressed.  Then it will come.  

'm sure and can almost promise.  

As to the cleaning job, ease into the job with care and do the job slowly and as carefully as you can even if you're not doing it up to par.    Perhaps you need a little more time before getting back to work.

Truthfully, for me, as I did go back to work at the 12-week mark at 3 months, I didn't really feel  like myself until the 4th month.  For me, I could tell I felt the benefits only then and my leg and hip feel noticably stronger.

Right now, at 4 and a half months, my operated hip feels pretty fine.  But I have developed for the first time a sciatica on the other side and have to see what I have to do deal with with that.  It's probably from the 3 months of an uneven gait so I'll be needing advice soon on this blog for that.

All will be well.  Be patient.  You're getting there.     Big hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi there Susanbaci thanks for your reply and great advice .hugs 😄

• Posted

The answer is "it varies", I could only roll onto my operated side after my first operation, but had revision surgery on the same leg 10 weeks later, after which I could only roll onto the other side.

My surgeries were Oct 2015 & Jan 2016, and I still get odd pains, especially when 'pushing it' a bit, like on holiday recently when climbing many uneven stone stairs in churches and castles.

Sitting at a desk at work also brings on 'scar area' and lower back pain, so I have to remember to keep getting up and moving about.

Hugs

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.