Prozac

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone used Prozac for depression before, my doctor gave me propranolol to try first before I try it and it is having little effect on the depression only helping a little with chest butterflies that come eith this anxiety I now have was just wondering if anyone else had good or bad experiences on the Prozac thanks

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Adam

We are all different when it comes down to cause and effect of medications, what one person takes, next door will be ok while you yourself could have contraindications that could be severe in your eyes

BOB

• Posted

Hated Prozac! Bad side effects! Hope it works for you! Everyone is different and I had great expectations, but no success!
    • Posted

What sort of side effects? Thanks for the reply
    • Posted

Most of the contraindications are generally the same in Antideppresents. they generally have the same active ingrediant.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Adam,

As you already know SSRI's and SNRI's all work differently for everyone. And the range of symptoms and experiences vary. But that doesn't mean we can't all share our experiences and draw what we have in common. So here goes my five cents wink

Prozac was the very first anti depressant I was ever prescribed, in my early teens (I'm 28 now).

I started off on 10mg and increased to 20mg within the month. Within the first two weeks of having taken the drug, I suffered pretty much every single side effect that comes with it. I struggled with nausea and sleeplessness and irritation/anxiety the most.

It pretty much all went away after two weeks and the drug started to run its course. For the first 6-9 months I felt better. My depression and anxiety was in control. I was finally in control. I felt like a functioning human being again.

This only last under a year. After that, I felt like I had plateaued. I continued to take my medication but I was feeling my depression and anxiety getting out of control again, so my dr decided to put me onto Zoloft. Then Lexapro. I stayed on Lexapro the longest. I think it worked best for me so far.

It is only after I had been to a few different Drs here in Australia that I found out Prozac was a very old medication and that there had been many new medications that have been proven to work better for people so I don't know why I was put into Prozac first.

I hope you find peace and comfort ASAP my friend.

Keep in touch.

Hope I was able to help in some way.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply

Depression is not something I am prone to this is why I am asking questions, I recently had a physical injury involving my chest which brought along this bad anxiety, and I feel that through this, and not being able to do things I usually do, this depression has manifested itself. My doctor gave me propranolol to try but although I feel it is helping with anxiety a little bit ( more so physical side ) but not the depression and now a small

Dose of an antidepressant might be the answer, I am seeing her tonight and this could be what will happen.

Thanks for the advice and I will

Keep in touch

Cheers

• Posted

oh I see. It's more circumstantial depression. You will have not only a speedy but also a good recovery. Prozac will help you function again and if it doesn't it won't hurt you then you can move onto the next option. There is a combination or just a one pill that will work for you and get you through this hard time.

That's all it sounds like you need. It sounds like life is begining to get a little out of control with your injury and all the spare time you probably have alone with your thoughts.

Trust me it makes all the difference to keep in touch with a friend or family and keep as active as you can. Depression and anxiety feeds off not only negativity and stress but also boredom!

It sounds like you'll be on your feet pretty soon.

Thanks for sharing dear. And good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your kind and helpful words they are appreciated and I will repost in here with any kind of results!
    • Posted

I have now been out on sertraline 50mg one a day I'm only 4 days in but I can already feel a small difference long may it continue feeling good

• Posted

Hello and so sorry for my late reply.

I'm glad you haven't given up on yourself because even if medication isn't the answer for you, something else will work and you will recover.

How much was your starting dose on Sertraline? It's a good thing your doctor now knows that Prozac wasn't working for you and he can prescribe you something else.

Best of luck my friend!

• Posted

I wasn't on Prozac In the first place it was an option we were looking at but she ended up settling on sertraline I felt good the first few days but now having some side effects which is to be expected I suppose jittery and anxious but swell just going to have to try get through it

• Posted

I think Sertaline is a better option too just from personal experience and listening to others.

It sounds like you've got all the early and very temporary side affects of taking the medication. You're right though, and it will pass before you even know it smile

Bed time for me now. I hope you have yourself a wonderful day!

• Posted

Yeah we will see how it goes, I'm at the point where I was willing to try anything and gave in to taking anti depressants rolleyes again, thanks very much for your kind and positive words, they are very reassuring and also very appreciated

• Posted

Why propranolol ? That is High blood pressure medication and also used to control  irregular heart rhythms. I can't find anything good to say about SSRI antidepressants or antidepressants in general.  There are a  mulititude of adverse side effects associated with them. I know. Took Paxil for 15 years.....and nothing good to report....have been off of them for 5 years now........oh  ! so much better now !

• Posted

It is to calm myself down when I start to get the chest flutters I keep getting with this anxiety and palpitations they have been helping a little bit but she has now have me sertraline to try, and to be honest friend I'm now at the point of trying anything I have been like this for almost a year and it's impacting every aspect of my life to some degree so it's worth a shot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.