Is running the cause of spontaneous pneumothorax?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I had first episodo of spontaneous pneumothorax this April, recurrent happened two months later. Went VATs and pleurodesis on July. Am a regular runner, before SP i run 60 - 80 km per week. Some said the SP is due to i run too much. I am back to running after 7 weeks off from tracks. Now still will feel discomfort on chest. I am wondering that is running the cause of SP?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I imagine you have blebs or bullae on your lungs, correct?

If that is the case, then intense physical effort and/or big pressure changes could cause said blebs or bullae to pop and release air in your thorax. 

That being said, short of doing super-dooper heavy lifting or climbing the himalayas or diving in the mariana trench you should be fine. 

Despite some advoce to avoid extreme stuff, my doctors are encouraging me to resume my life as normal - especially after VATS.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for sharing. Yep You're right, blebs were found at apical part of my Lung and was removed by VATs. Doctors here Is also encouraging me back to normal life and avoid exercise isn't the way to prevent SP.

I found when I was too exhausted the tightness of chest will return together with pinches of pain. Just worry if I participate in marathon as what I usually do, this will leads to SP again.

• Posted

Best thing I could say is to listen to your body. 

July is just 2 months ago, so perhaps it would by wise to not force the issue and take things one step at a time. 

If you've had bleb resection the healing will take a while... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.