stuck kidney stone for last 3 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i wonder i someone can help just over a 6 weeks ago i had onset of uti infection and went to gp right away he said i had a kidney infection and prescriped antibiotics had a ultra scan to determine that  i have got a large kidney stone stuck just after the kidney. i then had second uti 3 weeks ago and was refered to the urologist and still waiting for appointment,  but all this time i have only had low level pain from the left kidney area in the back which is still there is usal and how long should i have wait for a nhs hospital appointment ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure about the time you may need to wait for a hospital appointment but I get the impression that the NHS would rather let things take their course in the hope that a patient passes a stone without intervention. This could lead to kidney stones being put on the back burner until the pain gets too bad, or the stone passes on its own.

So, if the pain does get bad, re-contact your doctor asap and ask for assistance. You may also need to go to A&E if its severe.

Meantime, drink lots of water to help flush it through and to prevent it from getting any bigger.

• Posted

Hello,

This is like reading about myself almost 3 months ago! Ok so, at the end of May I suddenly felt very poorly and assumed I had a UTI. Went to the doc and was told a kidney infection with blood present in urine. So given antibiotics and sent in my way. The pain became really bad and the antibiotics didn't work. So then I was treated for pelvic inflammatory disease with more antibiotics. Again this wasn't the case and I was not 4 weeks in and had lost almost 10lbs in weight. I was then ref for a abdominal scan which showed nothing. 7 weeks in and I had a cystoscope which revealed nothing. By by then I'd had 8 lost of antibiotics. Eventually I was ref for a CT scan. However I was told the wait was another 5 weeks! So I paid the £570 and went private. Only then was it that they discovered I had a kidney stone stuck in my kidney. I was then put on the correct antibiotics and within a week felt better and returned to work. I was told I would be ref to urology again re the stone. I lasted afew weeks before yet another kidney infection started, for which I was admitted to hospital. Then and only then I made some progress. The urologist saw me and ref me to have lithotripsy at the Royal Gwent Hospital. That was 3 weeks ago. I was told it was an urgent case and I would been seen quickly! I rang and pestered the Royal Gwent as I heard nothing from them. I'm now back off work with my 14th lot of antibiotics! Last Friday a lovely lady actually listened to me, and went on the hunt for my referral. She told me it had gone to the wrong dept! She was then able to sort me an appointment for 17th October.

So my advice to you would be to put pressure on the doctor and ring to follow up your referral. The NHS dont seem to communicate with one another. And everything takes so so long. If you have to money to go private then do! Even if it's just for the initial urology app. That was you may be quicker having NHS treatment to remove the stone. Good luck!

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks for the replies

as off today 2/1016 some 5 weeks i still not had an appoinment from QA hospital portsmouth  i am going in to the surgery this eveing to put a perscription in and i will see if i can get a chase up by the doc on the referal.

• Posted

i was informed by the surgery on tuseday 4-10-2016 that the apointtment to see the urologist as there is a backlog at the hospital. it will be around the 14th december 14 weeks from referal i hope my kidney survies the long wait to get treatment.
  • Posted

I was called by the hospital on friday (21/10/16) for an appointment with the urologist Yesterday (monday) and he confirmed that i had an egg shaped stone 8 x 15mm long stone stuck in the bottom kidney top of the urether tube the only thing that is worrying me a bit is that he wants in surgery as quick as possible i am wondering if there is more to this as he is personlly arranging for me to have a CT scan before the end of the week and subject to the scan then straight into surgery he asked me to get a pre sugery blood test done aswell this fri morning ( 2/8/10/2016).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.