Upper Endoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Tomorrow I'm getting an upper endoscopy I'm so nervous, I'm getting sedation but I'm so scared because I don't want to be awake during the procedure. Please help me...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

With sedation, you'll probably be totally unaware of what happens. Many people actually go to sleep.

Just try and stay calm, concentrate on breathing and it'll be all over in about 10 minutes.

• Posted

Hi I had an upper endoscopy this morning without sedation ,the absolute worst bit was waiting 2 hours to be seen .I went in I was greeted by friendly nurses ,they sprayed the back of my throat with the numbing spray this does taste bad ! They popped in a mouthpiece ,my throat was completely numb then in went the scope I gagged very slightly when it was inserted then I felt absolutley nothing at all ,I did not gag again at all throughout the procededure .They then said they were going to take 2 biopsies again I felt no pain ,it felt like someone rummaging in my stomach but in no way painful ,they then withdrew the scope and in under 3 minutes it was all done ,it was so quick it was unbelieveable !

I would have it done again without sedation no problem ,I have had a sedated colonoscopy and that was fine .

Please don't worry the thought of it is way worse than what you think might happen .

I read all the horror stories before I had it done and most of it must be made up ,I actually asked the nurse if they had ever pinned anyone down and she nearly wet herself laughing also the procedure never takes more than 5 or 6 minutes from throat spray to finish apparantley no one has ever had a 30 minute endoscopy in the hospital I was in ,this was another thing the nurse laughed at .

Just dont worry yourself stupid its so quick ,from going in to sitting sipping some much needed water took under 10 minutes if that .

• Posted

I had it done unsedated a couple of days ago. I've had much worse experiences at the dentist. In fact it's probably fair to say that, apart from routine checkups, most of my dental visits have been about as bad if not worse. And around here he's generally reckoned to be one of the best! You have nothing to worry about.

• Posted

I had it done with sedation they had to give me a lot so that I would go to sleep. I don't remember anything I don't even remember coming home. It was perfectly fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.