Healthy active wife diagnosed with Bell's Palsy...activity limitations???

Posted , 4 users are following.

My wife was diagnosed with BP last Friday and we are in the early stages of finding out treatment options and other information. We are an active couple but unsure of how to safely proceed with our lifestyle; specifically this...we have tickets to attend a Halloween themed event which will involve high intensity scares, strobes and noises. Aside from her sensitivity to loud noises is there anything that would make her condition worse or prevent optimal recovery at this stage? The last thing we want is for her condition to stagnate or worsen but also we have a hard time "sitting around waiting"...Any and all advice is most welcome and thank you in advance. Cheers! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First off you need to start treatment ASAP if left untreated facial paralysis has a greater chance of being permanent. It is true that the condition can clear with no treatment but I highly recommend starting high dose steroids.

As for life style, you need worry about anything. Just be sure to try and keep the face warm and try to avoid putting pressure on the effected side. Bell's Palsy is not related to the brain or heart so jump scares and strobing light will be safe.

Mark

• Posted

DoctorMark thank you so much for your reply. In regards to the lifestyle did you mean to type *need not worry about anything* just to be clear?

We have started Prednisone, Acylovir, B12, B6 and zinc in addition to our visit today to the chiropractor to advise on cold laser treatment.

Again thank you so much for your advice. Gathering as much information as we can on how to proceed as well as treatment is our main goal so any and all advice is welcome.

• Posted

I don't know about "cold laser treatment?"  I've not heard of that.  You have to be careful in early stages.  Let me know what that is. 

• Posted

Wishes for a good recovery to your wife.  As a sufferer of Bells palsy(Ramsay Hunt syndrome for me) your support will mean the world to her.

?As long as she does not have any other underlying issues, except a sensitivity to loud noise and I  presume maybe a pulling sensation and a loss of balance, in my case, I just went out there after 3 months indoors

?and got on with it all despite looking as I did. As long as she gets proper rest and nutrition and takes the B vitamins and I must stress this,  lubricate the eye continually with eye drops or whatever the doctor

recommends,  then just get out there and enjoy.  You do not specify how she got Bells palsy or whether you know how she got it , or the amount

?of facial impairment as graded on the House Brackmann scale.  I found that I had to make sure not to get exposed to wind or too much cold.

?I feel that an ear infection brought on my problems and somehow the virus damaged my &7th cranial nerve with all the swelling in the ear canal.

?Moist heat always applied with a flannel always seems to soothe whereas exposure to cold makes my face seize up. I started exercising the face months later as I did not want to stress the healing nerve any further.

It will be nearly 3 years in January so it is taking it's own sweet time.

?Patience, resting and enjoying life is what I advocate.  Hopefully, your wife

?will make a speedy recovery and enjoying yourselves in the process would just be a bonus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.