Pain in the bottom!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am now six months post THR after my undignified fall in the street and a broken hip!, I am doing fairly well but I have a persistent grizzly ache in my buttock. Its on the same side as the new hip so I suppose it must be linked and the GP doesnt appear to be worried. Just wondered if anyone else had this???

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a similar ache after a bit of a set back ten weeks post op. My GP was sure that it was muscular and would go in time. I found it really helpful to use my Bio Oil, which I had been using on the scar, to give myself a regular deep buttock massage! Maybe worth you trying this? Eventually everything sorted itself thankfully.
  • Posted

Hi Lin

i'm four months post op and also have an aching right but cheek! Steph is right - bio oil rubbed in daily does help. So does swimming, stretching and elevation. My physio told me to rest on the bed, (not the sofa or arm chair) to get the greatest benefit.

hang on in there luv !! smile xxxxx

• Posted

After several months, I still get a grizzly ache in the posterior.

Massage the scar area with Bio Oil is the recommended method of easing the area.

• Posted

Thanks for that butl had the anterior approach and the scar is nowhere near the ache! Still massage??

Lin

• Posted

sure, the ache is where it needs to be massaged, but don't leave the scar area without massage.   I had a very good sports physio, (she treats both meand my wife) she showed me how and where to massage - absolutely wonderful lady.

• Posted

Pain in the butt is usually due to muscles. I like others have said massage it, usually with a couple of fingers , I really push in deep to the area. Deep tissue massage is also great for sorting this out, but hurts like hell in tender places. I always so no pain no gain lol . Hope you get it resolved. x
  • Posted

Great advice Above!

I truly value this forum's generous membersit has been a hugely helpful through my first thr and I hope it is heling you in the same wayto make your journey an easier one (advice, support or just a shoulder or ear).

Re the persistent grizzly ache in your buttock (wonderful description to which I can relate only too well.

It seems that while 'tuning up' up the thighs, abductors and adductors, the gluten often become the forgotten cousins answer as I sat around

/lay around far more than I would have liked, the glutes winding up tighter and tighter. In my case this could corrected very simply with 'butt clenches' - lie on bed, tighten stomach muscles then clench both buttocks. Hold for a count of 5, relax and repeat 15x. Repeat throughout the day. It sometimes helps to warm for 15 with heating pad on low beforehand.

But .. as with all else related to this surgery - check with a physiotherapist or your doctor to ensure nothing else is at work.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

Hello Lin50729,Is the sensation like you are sitting on a piece of wood,Because that is how i describe it.Have had this for almost 2 yrs. best wishes Allan Coventry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.