Swollen glad in neck/throat for about 3 years

Posted , 2 users are following.

Wanted to chime into this discussion as I have been in most of these situations MANY times over the past 3 years or so. I got a slight cold/runny nose later summer 2014 and after that, a glad swelled up in my throat and never went down. Sometimes I don't notice it at all, and other times it is very prominent. I STILL think it could be lymphoma or throat cancer - Google does not help. Last year, I went to an ENT doctor who examined it and referred me for an ultrasound (which revealed nothing out of the ordinary). Both the ENT and the Radiologist reviewed the results and didn't even think there was any swelling. I've also had blood drawn more than once over the past 3 years, and nothing has ever come back abnormal. I now know that the sickness isn't in my lymphnodes; it is in my mind. Hypochondria is a really serious disorder and it has literally dibilitated me at times. I went to therapy a few years back and it changed my world. I suggest staying up to date with annual physicals, speaking with a therapist, and even considering SSRIs for anxiety if you find yourself worrying so much that it is ruining your life. Hope this helps! I know how you all feel! It is scary, but just take it a day at a time and stay healthy smile 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I also think I am a hypochondriac.  I say think, because sometimes I'm not sure if I am really sick or if I am just making myself feel bad.  I do have hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's, so it's hard to tell what symptoms are real or not.  I have been to a lot of doctors in the past few years and the hypothyroidism is all they found.  I also have swollen lymph nodes in my neck, I had an ultrasound and they showed several enlarged one over 1 cm, also, I am tired all the time, feel depressed, suffer from sever social anxiety and I am just so tired of feeling bad all the time. I believed for a few years that I had cancer somewhere also.  Sometimes I still think I do..lol.  I am starting to believe that it's all in my head and that I am making myself feel bad, because the doctors are unable to find anything.  I know that the power of suggestion is great, as the power of our minds are also and I know that we can make ourselves sick.  So, I'm actually working on telling myself throughout the day that I feel great, I am happy and I am healthy.  I just hope I can convince myself.  I think I'm feeling better already..lol.

• Posted

I'm so sorry sad Our minds ARE very powerful. Please go see a therapist! It took me a few tries to find the right one, but once I found one who understood my condition, she treated it VERY well with cognitive behavior therapy and anti-anxiety medicine. This was in 2012-2013 - at this point, I am free of therapy and medicine. I still have minor issues every now and then (such as freaking out about swollen glands, thinking I have a heart problem, etc.) but it is controllable and not debilitating like it used to be. You can free yourself of these awful thoughts if you get the right help smile I hope you start feeling better and that your positive affirmations continue to work!! 

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragment! I actually have a therapist, but have never brought up me being a hypochondriac.  But your right.. and I will speak to her about it next time I see her.  It really is an awful way to live.  I am just making myself suffer.  It gives me encouragment to hear that you have come so far!  Also.. that's great that you took your time to write this post in hopes of helping others.  If you hadn't wrote it and gave me hope, I probably would have never brought it up to my therapist and stay miserable.  So, thank you and best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.