To anxious to change from Mirtazapine to sertraline :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

oh god so I was suppose to be weaning off the mirtazapine reducing from45mg to 30mg this week but the thought has made me more anxious then ever!! I have to work!! but i cant stay on this medication as its no longer working really wanna try the sertraline but i cant cope with change 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel

It is very frustrating and I know where you are coming from. I too am titrating down from Mirtazapine from 45mg as it stopped working I am now on 3.5 mg. I have tried so many AD's. Serataline was not for me at all. You can only tey it and see what you think because everyone is different. I have been on Paroxetine now for 3 weeks at 20mg and I know a lot of people have problem with that and I was reluctant to try it BUT it has been good. After 2 weeks of dodgy side effects my head now is very calm and quiet. So Serataline might be for you. For me it was horrendous but like I say people will say the same for paroxetine and all ADs in one way or another. My only advice would be tapering off Mirtazapine very slowly.

• Posted

Hi Rachel I'm currently ill due to 30mg stopping working so upped to 45mg or mirt 1 week ago anxiety still through the roof and feel hungover constantly going back to the doctors to see if I can go onto venafilaxin as a few forums say there good but I have no idea how to taper and very scared to change ad but I'm lower than low on these hope you manage to get the off mirt successfully without many withdrawals as I hope I can to best of luck Hun

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

Has your GP given you a plan to wean off the mirtazapine?  Might be worth going back to your GP or speaking to your Pharmacist for advice?  Could you maybe take a few days holiday?  Good luck!!  

• Posted

hi all thanks for the replies yes the Gp gave me a plan to go from 45 to 30 this week then 30 and 50 sertraline next week then 15 mir and 50 sertraline the week after then stop mirtazapine on week 4 x

• Posted

none havent started the tapering yet but im already very anxious about making the change.
  • Posted

Tapering advice for anyone who wants or needs it, with best wishes smile  

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mirtazapine-tapering-simplified-510495

For advice on tapering Mirtazapine slowly at the recommended rate of no more than 10% every 3 or 4 weeks, please see the following which is within this forum,

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".

Don't expect your doctor to know about tapering methods necessarily; mine was mainly out to lunch on this ... ugh !

Wishing you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.