Constant Tickle. Dry Cough

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am new here and looking for a bit of advice. I have suffered intermittently with Acid Reflux over the last few years and have been treated with Omeprazole and Lansoprazole. It has been much better recently until about 8 weeks ago I caught a slight cold which developed into a heavy, productive cough. Whilst I had the cough I also had some acid reflux. All of that went away about 6 weeks ago but has left behind a tickle which stretches from my throat down to the top of my abdomen and a dry unproductive cough. The cough is, I think, just a reflexive response to the tickle but I can't shift the tickle and it is driving me crazy. I am back on Omeprazole, though I have not had any actual Acid Reflux since the virus went away. So far, it does not seem to be making any difference. I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything like this and what, if anything you did to relieve it?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Just realised that I forgot some crucial information. I have had a chest x ray which was clear. Iam not short of breath and do not have a tight chest (though my peak flow is slightly below where it should be). The tickle and cough ease up when I am asleep and I am clear of them when I first get up in the morning though they soon appear. Gets worse throughout the day and after eating and especially drinking.

• Posted

To be honest i have acid reflux for 8 years which has now damaged my lungs and got mild emphysematous changes on my lungs from it that was not found on xray only ct scan. But best thing for your tickly cough is Codeine Linctus Sugar Free  it will stop it straight away, you can get this off your doctor.
  • Posted

I was also diagnosed with such a problem. I was told the dry cough was due to Gerd . Also in the morning I wake up with a lot of mucus in the back of my throat and have to cough it up. I was also told this was a symptom of GERD. My experience is that it just doesn't go away, but it is not serious, just something to live with.

• Posted

Hi if you have lot's of mucus stop eating dairy that really helps, i have not had any for 9 months plus other foods i have stopped eating.

• Posted

Thanks for the responses and the PMs. To be honest, I do not have many other of the usual symptoms at the moment and even the cough would be tolerable if it was not for the tickling sensation, almost an itching sensation which stretches from my throat to the top of my stomach (which I guess is the length of the oesophagus). That is the most distracting dispiriting thing. I do not really have much mucus, even in the morning. In fact yesterday things seemed to have improved dramatically but the tickle and cough are much worse again today. The couging also results in a bad taste in the mouth and I have noticed today a slight burning sensation in the back of my throat, accompanied by what I can only describe a a slight vomity flavour.
  • Posted

i have the same exact symptoms! it started like your story! i am now in week 9 and it is driving me crazy

• Posted

No real solution I'm afraid. It seems to be a seasonal thing with me. I have had it again this year but it is just easing up now as we get into Spring, which seems to have been the pattern for the last few years. The one thing I did find which seems to help somewhat is that I started taking Slippery Elm Bark capsules about a year ago. I take two capsules per day and they do seem to ease by GORD symptoms generally but they may not be for everyone.

• Posted

how long did it take to ease up, i mean how long until this tickling did go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.