What happens when they drain the cyst?

Posted , 2 users are following.

On Friday my nurse called with Mri results for the pain in my ankle, it's apparently a cyst. Tomorrow I go in to discuss it, from everything I've read online, when they aspirate it they also inject you with steroids, is this true? I am breastfeeding my nine month old and do not want steroids, idk if they can be passed to the baby but even if they cannot I'm not sure I want to take the risk but I'm in so much pain now. Is there any other way besides dropping a book (which I won't do) or surgery? Can my foot be put in a brace or something will it go away with immobilization?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fishingmomma,

At 22, working as a NA and lifting a 500 pound pt, I got a g cyst on my wrist.  It hurt when it happened, but I am 57 now and it has never been too much trouble. 

I certainly would not take any meds while breastfeeding! ANd slamming the book on it didn't work.  I don't know your pain tolerance, but they won't hurt you if you don't ever do anything to it. 

• Posted

Well after discussing it with my Dr there is not just one cyst, its multiple and they are growing one on top of the other wrapping around tendons in my ankle Dr said it's a severe case. He wouldn't do steroids of course since I'm breastfeeding and he won't drain them because for one there's way too many and they can obviously just refill its a waste of time. Right now I'm continuing physical therapy Because I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and overpronation of a joint in my foot but to now also help break up some of the smaller cysts and hopefully alleviate some of the pain. I can't wear sneakers because they rub on my ankle and hurt after walking for a few hours and it's bad because fall is here now and getting chillier where I live. PT seems to be hurting it more but I'll see. Unfortunately it is causing me pain so eventually I probably will have to have surgery. My Dr is actually moving so I will be seeing a new one and get another opinion I wouldn't be able to get surgery until my baby is done breastfeeding anyway so I have to suck it up and deal with it for now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.