Shingles Despair!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I am hoping to direct my question to those of you that have had Shingles. I am currently on day 24 of my recovery and I still feel nausea 24hrs/day and also weak with a moderate grade headache over temples and forehead. Basically, I feel so terrible and I am an otherwise 45 year old fit guy! Can anyone out there advise me if this is normal symptoms for day 24 since my diagnosis. My rash is long gone and I was on antivirals within 12 hours of shingles confirmation.

I am wondering if I have something else wrong with me that has been missed or is this to be expected at this juncture in my recovery. 

My sympathy to all of you recovering from Shingles... any comments would be gratefully received and appreicated.

Thanks

Rob

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rob,

Where was the rash and pain located?

I am sorry, but I use my phone, and this site doesn't store your posts sequentially.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry,

My shingles appeared directly on my sternum (breastbone) and has long gone. The shingles wrecked havoc to my chest area with cardiac symptoms.

I just feel so unwell and wonder if this is the normal course of shingles at day 24.

Much appreciated,

Rob

• Posted

Rob, you sound pretty miserable and ill and I am compelled to reply right away.

Call your Dr. first thing in the morning and insist on getting in right away. You might need to go on another round of antivirals. Valtrex or Famvir. Acyclovir seems to be the least effective for most here. If you cannot get in, please consider going to the ER. 

I came down with Shingles on face, head and in left eye in June and honestly, I cannot remember the first three weeks.Was at eye Dr every week for 5 weeks. Was very ill with pretty good fever, etc. I have been on 4 rounds of Valtrex and am still dealing with severe fatigue. However, I am much older than you (63). 

It is a horrible illness to come down with and you may need to get back on meds right away. Hang in there and try to get through the night. Advil gel caps (take one and then the second in an hour) help if you have no pain killer. I was very nauseated and had to have a prescription for nausea, as I was throwing up a lot. Ginger ale helped some.

Good luck and hope you can get some sleep.

Kerril

(Merry is the expert around here. I am on the West Coast so saw your post come in.)

• Posted

Thanks so much Kerri for your kind words and advice. This has certainly hit me hard and I feel that I shouldn't have this much nausea and headache symptoms almost a month later...I will indeed talk to my Doc to get back on meds potentially.

Thanks again...Rob

• Posted

Rob,

Now I remember...no, you should not feel nauseated this far out, especially if you are not on any medications. As the rash and pain from the shingles was limited to one side of the sternum, I would not expect that you would have a bad headache, either.

Have the rash and pain on the chest mostly resolved?

Is the headache similar to the shingles pain, limited to one side? a burning lancinating pain? Did the headache and nausea start after the chest rash and pain were resolving. Or did you have the headache and nausea all along. Do you have a fever, sweating, and chills?

I would definitely see a physician tomorrow and get this checked out.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Rob,

At day 24, most people who have shingles on their chest wall do not have nausea and headache, unless it is in their eye or ear or head. And that is my concern that you are getting a second bout. Some people do have a second rash, or a second area of pain "Zoster Sine Herpete", shingles without the rash, if the headache is one-sided. Hopefully, your physician can sort this out.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry for your amazing insight and advise. I will followup with my doc on Wednesday at my appointment to discuss these persistent symptoms. 

You are very kind to be helping so many people on this forum...your expertise is much appreciated!!

Thanks..I will keep you posted..Robson

• Posted

The headache, is it one sided and lancinating, burning?
  • Posted

Hi Rob, sorry you're suffering with shingles I know what you're going through mine started about 6 months ago and unfortunately for me I still have the symptoms I get the nausea upset stomach fatigue and the rash has disappeared they disappear within a few days for 5 days so to answer your question yes it is not unusual for you to still have symptoms after 24 days knowing first hand like I said I've had continuous for the last almost six months sorry you're going through this hopefully yours will only last maybe a month from what I've been told as long as you got the anti virus medication right away it shouldn't be too prolonged mine unfortunately I didn't get the medication until two and a half months later I hope you get over it quickly and good luck to you

• Posted

Hi Rob. sorry you are still feeling crappy. my shingles/chicken pox is healing well now, but i did have to have a 2nd round of valcyclivor as it came back 2days after the first lot. i did get severe all day headaches for 5 days at the very beginning preceding the rash appearing. i would definately get checked out by your doc asap, as shingles can cause viral meningitis or encephalitis (brain inflammation) which would cause bad continual headaches. it is a nasty viral infection anyway (shingles) & can leave you feeling rubbish - weakened & unwell for weeks/months, but always best to be on the safe side & get checked out by your doc. hope you start to feel better soon.

• Posted

Rob and all,

Sorry you're going through this. I know the despair the #$#&%ing shingles bring on. My shingles hit on July 4th. On my forehead and eye. There was unrelenting pain til early September. Now the pain is 90% gone, but so is my stamina unfortunately. I had plenty stamina for the 1st 2 months, then fatigue set in just as the pain subsided.

I'm amazed how little my pcp and the medical establishment know about shingles. He made a quick dx and had me on Famvir Pronto and am thankful for that. He said I should be all better in 3 weeks, ha! OGK how long this fatigue will last. I feel wrecked from this. Take extra good care of yourself with clean diet, lots of rest, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.