Antibiotics

Posted , 11 users are following.

i have contracted Lyme disease and can't drink for a fortnight while on strong antibiotics,I drink half bottle vodka every night,any advice?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It'll do your body alot of good to give it a rest from the alcohol. Of course you know that.  Maybe your'e doctor would be prepared to prescribe you a short dose of sedatives while you are taking the antibiotics. They are often prepared to do this if its just for a couple of weeks.

• Posted

Thank you for advice,yes I will make an appointment,as I will need help to sleep.This forum is full of lovely helpful people,I don't know what I,d do without it.

• Posted

Either don't drink or don't take the tablets? Double check what type of antibiotics you have, there's only a handful that are affected by booze

• Posted

Discuss it with your doctor, you'll need something to help you through. And maybe it's a good opportunity to reduce your drinking. Hope you get well soon.

• Posted

They always say not to drink with any medication...in the case of antibiotics...the alcohol will make the dose weaker...no big deal.

BUT..the better option is to not drink and to get the sedatives as suggested.

• Posted

Lyme also is usually requiring a longer dose of antibiotics..like a month!

or 6 months!

• Posted

Well Missy,you are right about maybe needing antibiotics for longer time,but my doc hopes I,ve got it in time,here,s hoping,if I need more,then I will almost certainly break the booze habit,haha,but those strong pills not great for an already fragile liver.We,ll see-  -  
  • Posted

If you have severe withdrawal symptoms, you MUST have a drink because they can be dangerous. Did the doctor prescribing know that you are drinking half a bottle of vodka a day? You really need to contact that doctor and explain your situation.

Alcohol can make the side effects of antibiotics worse and that. in itself could be dangerous. They shouldn't be mixed so I would advise speaking to a doctor before taking the antibiotics if you are going to end up drinking.

Please get more medical advice from a doctor.

• Posted

Hey angela, i am in the TSM program too short to give you any advice, i am sorry..
  • Posted

Thank you all very much for the advice,surprised doctor didn't even mention them both together,and I did tell him I drank half bottle a night,Ofcourse good to give my body a rest from alcohol,and I really need to get rid of the Lyme disease,I can't imagine having withdrawal systems,as never went without before except when ill will need to make appointment tomorrow.

• Posted

Day 3 of antibiotics and no alcohol no withdrawal systems and slept better last night-l can do this😊

• Posted

Who am I trying to kid,fine when I wrote that under an hour ago,been sick now,and feel awful
    • Posted

Aw bud, that is always the way.  I have reflux problems (on another forum) and was sure I had healed myself and only 2 weeks ago told my hubs that I had cured myself without PPI's just natural healing.  A day later and it came back - full on in my face - since then I have been battling it.  I am never showing off again - coz that is what I was doing!!!

But yes you can do it - it may even be the anti's making you sick sad

• Posted

Hi Gwen,thanks for reply,yes it's the antibiotics causing sickness,I hope I can  stop the drinking,doc gave me Quetiapine to help me sleep,here,s hoping,keep in touch,it's never going to be easy,sorry to hear you are still battling! 😕

• Posted

angela, I was given a sleeping aid but on reading the instructions, I can't have even a small amount of alcohol with them.  Will you drink with yours?  I am too scared to in case I get up in the night and go driving whilst asleep!!!

• Posted

Hi Gwen,because of the Lyme disease being such a horrible disease if not caught in time,I darent drink in case it deters the antibiotics doing their job,it is such a good thing for me to learn to keep off alcohol for as long as it takes,may be my saviour,but Ofcourse most of us struggle not to go back to it,don't know what to say about you taking sleeping aid,it's a difficult one,hope someone can advise!

• Posted

Thanx for reply - yes think I will bin them.  I have a friend with Lyme so I understand where you are coming from.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.