Will a full hysterectomy get rid of my endometriosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please help im 29 and I've been suffering with endometriosis for the last 7 years since I had a c-section for my beautiful twins. It went wrong and I lost 4 pints of blood into my abdominal cavity . Since then I have tried every hormonal drug available . It know looks that it has turned that severe that I have depression and constant nauseating pain most days . It is ruining my life . I have know been told that a full hysterectomy is my best chance of stopping it . Is this a fact ? Please help .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren -

I feel your pain! I was suffering from endo for the past few years too.

Just had a surgery to remove all pelvic lesions and had rectal resection in order to remove the big endo nodules formed on my rectum. It was done 4 months ago, now literally getting better but still have leg pains which triggered by every period.

Based on my communication with my doctor hysterctomy would never been a cure for endo. I read so many stories about recurrance of endo even after removed uterine and ovaries. My doctor suggested UID. Have you ever tried it?

• Posted

Hi thankyou so much for replying . My numerous amount of gynecologists have never mentioned this to me . Could you enlighten me please

Thankyou so much

• Posted

The UID is a mirena. It is a form of contraceptive that releases progesterone.

I have had a mirena for 9 months but only got 2 months relief. I have been on zoladex injections which causes a drug induced menopause and having pretty good results with that. You can only be on the injections for 6 months though.

I am 30 and actually booked in to have a hysto in a month. My gyno seems to think that due to my response to the zoledex i am a good candidate for the surgery. I have a very complicsted history so it is the best option i have.

Only time will tell i guess.

• Posted

Hi Karen - Thanks for your reply! My surgeon planned to put mirena but I denied it this time. I was so hesitated since read so many negative feedbacks on it. Can you tell me more about it? I understand everybody is different, like you say only time will tell but hope more information could help me make a better decision. While I'm typing right now my right thigh is still hurting. I'm 44 years old and never had kids.

• Posted

i didnt particularly like the idea of a mirena when it was first mentioned either. I had had a hellish 2 years of non stop bleeding, pain and diarrhea which led to massive vitamin deficencies, dehydration etc so i was willing to give anything a go.

I had the mirena put in when i had my lap and excision surgery. the two months after surgery was great. I felt amazing. After that things started to go down hill. My bleeding, although lighter was very irregular and my pain and bowel symptoms started to return, getting worse each month.

I feel that the relief i got after my surgery was most likely from the removal of the endo rather than the mirena. I feel as if the mirena has messed with my moods and i know a few people personally who felt the same way, has it removed and returned to normal.

Some women swear by it though. I guess its something you need to weight up the pros and cons for. You may be one of the lucky ones or you may not. It really is something that you cant know unless you try. I may be wrong but i think alot of the negative information on the internet may relate to an older version of the mirena and that it may be a bit safer now.

I got much better relief from a drug called zoladex which is a monthly injection that puts you in a menopause like state. However still not getting the best results.

The reason i say that only time will tell about the hysterectomy is that there is no way to know for sure if it will work unless it is done. This particulaly true in my case where there is a bit of uncertainty over whether my bowel symptoms are caused by the endo or something else or both. I think the stats are around 75% of hysterectomies are successful.

I am 30and have two children under 4yrs so for me it is worth trying. I currently cannot lift my children and often cannot participate in anything they are doing. I owe it to them to try and get it fixed.

• Posted

Hi Karen -

Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

I will forgo the idea of mirena at least go & watch for this year.

I had 3 surgeries to remove fibroids/cysts, the recent one was for endomestriosis and adhesions which bonded my pelvic organs together. Before surgery I had so many bowel symptoms since my endo lesions grew on my rectum and the area close to my appendix.

My surgeron did not give me a hyst option yet. I wish it could be a cure for you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.