Leg tightness just before falling asleep PMR?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm not sure if this is pmr related or not but it seems to be

what happens to me just as I'm going to sleep my thighs

front and back will start tensing up tight then have a deep

ache/pain.So irritating.frown

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

nothing like that for me, but I get restless legs, and difficulty sleeping.  Valium has been working for me.
    • Posted

Thanks Mark,I too take valium to relax the legs.Miserable

feeling when it happens

• Posted

Hi Tory, I've started to get muscle spasms and pain in my legs! This hasn't happened before and I've been on prednisolone for 18 months! I also have difficulty getting my legs comfortable to get to sleep, but this has only been for the last month or so!

I think it's just all to do with the auto immune condition that's running around us!

Andrea xx

• Posted

Hi Andrea,thanks for your input.Your probably right these

autoimmune diseases are the pits.They seem to just run

a muck grrrr.

• Posted

Hi Tory

I first started off with neck pain, flu like symptoms and then pains in front and back of thighs, and was diagnosed with PMR, was on 20mg pred and when I was coming down the dose, I was on 12.5mg and then developed the jaw pain and headaches, I was admitted to hospital and had a positive biopsy, and diagnosed with GCA , I developed temporary eye sight loss, my dose increased to 60mg and then increased to 80mg that was January 2015

I'm down to 6mg but thigh pain has come back in last 4 weeks back and front strange, I think some say that thigh pain is more associated with GCA not sure if this helps

• Posted

Elizabeth,thanks for your input as well.I have had in the past

what I call icepick headaches.It is one spot on top of left side

of my head that literally feels like I am being stabbed with an

icepick jabbing.Thankfully that is not often.I'm sorry this is a

miserable condition having pmr but I'm so glad to know there

is support on this forum biggrin and to know where the thigh pain

is coming from

• Posted

Owch.  That sounds like neuralgia.  What does your doctor say?
    • Posted

Anhaga,I had to reschedule my appt today as I didn't get

my referral,but we did discuss pmr as my symptoms.

The leg ache tightness feels like I have over worked them

in some way or like they have been wrung out like you would

a wash cloth.Just makes them ache

• Posted

I get aching legs too, not like the pain before diagnosis and treatment, but definitely a very tired sort of sensation.  Your description is pretty good actually!  I also was finding my shins ached terribly at night but have discovered keeping them warm helps 100% so I guess it could be a circulation thing.  Ageing is not for the faint hearted. rolleyes

• Posted

Rory that's the feeling in my thighs like you have over worked them, I used to like that feeling when you would over work your muscle but after 2 days pain would be gone,

Where as this muscle pain in thighs just dosen't go away😣

• Posted

I believe it is actually called occipital neuralgia.My eye Dr

rushed me to er side of clinic and had a scan done to rule

out possible stroke.It is what it felt like though someone

stabbing me in head

• Posted

It seems to have a constant ache for sure, even if it is

on the lighter side it's still bothersome

• Posted

Anhaga do you find the weather changes effect them?

I live in a pretty humid environment for 6 or 7 months

out of the year then we get the low temps pretty quick

it seems like my body doesn't get the break it needs

and your right getting older is not for sissies ha ha

• Posted

When I was quite young, in my teens, I used to get the eye-wateringly stabbing knitting needle in the side of my head, beside my eye.  Strangely enough it was when my grandfather was suffering terribly from trigeminal neuralgia; didn't know that at first, we lived on opposite sides of The Pond and it was decades before families were able to share every little tic with one another.  I haven't had it for a very long time.  I don't know if these neuralgias can actually clear up and go away, but mine certainly did and I've wondered if there was some sort of sympathetic connection between us.  The world is not only stranger than we know, but stranger than we can know.

• Posted

That's how I used to describe PMR pain, before I was diagnosed - the feeling you got when you'd exercised too much, only it never went away. 

• Posted

To be quite honest I don't know if weather really affects my PMR much.  I'm just trying to think about that, really for the first time.  I've just lived through my third summer with PMR, the first undagnosed, the second completely painfree as I was in the early days at my highest dose (15) and early in the tapering, but a great deal of stress as we dealt with various household issues. This past summer I've been very cautiously trying to get to the lowest possible dose, the weather has been lovely, and I've been getting quite expert at avoiding stress.  Like the summers the winters have been different, too.  The first undiagnosed and recently retired and it was actually hell, including the worst winter weather ever - we are still talking about it nearly two years later!  Last winter was so much better in every way.  So for me I think there are just too many variables to say if weather affects my PMR.  The fact I had to think about it probably answers the question.  So far, no.  But give me a few more months or years....  

• Posted

for sure it takes some time to realize if the weather

has an effect or not.I live in the southern plains in

the states and we get the jet stream from different

directions so it causes the barometric pressure to

change often.I do have fibro and that is probably

where my sensitivity to change to weather comes from

• Posted

Hi Anhaga Just wondering when you do get that pain in muscle after exercise, what exactly is it? like is it the same as in PMR that they say the capillaries are starved of oxygen? Am I getting this right
    • Posted

Sorry, Elizabeth, I misled you.  I was referring to the pain I got before treatment.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.