When can I be sure the Mirt is out of my system?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took a single 15mg dose of Mirtazapine at about 11.30pm on Friday night, I had a severe, adverse reaction to it and was told never to take it again.

I asked how long it would be until it was out of my system and the doctor said a few days, I know the half life is 20-40 hours but does that mean up to 80 hours to know it's cleared or am I wrong with that?

The hallucinations stopped after 24 hours which was great, my co-ordination feels pretty normal again too I think, it was so bad I could not hold a pen and some of the lesser side effects like dry mouth and constipation have lifted too, they went yesterday.

So it has been about 87 hours since I took it now, will it be gone yet?

I am still getting prickly skin sensations on and off but to be fair that may have nothing to do with Mirtazapine, I used to get that with stress.

I just want to know when I can safely say 'Okay it's out of my system' because I will feel much better when I know it's cleared.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bella,

Everyone is different on this medication. I took it for over a year and a half and had side effects for over seven months. Regardless of what the doctors say there is a protracted withdraws that comes with some meds. 

Since you took it for such a short time, I would think in a few days it will be over. I had horrible effects from this med. Best of luck to you and I am glad you are not continuing this. 

I think the costs outweigh the benefits with this medicine. Craziest ride I was ever on. Depression is nothing compared to this beast.

• Posted

Thank you so much, I wish I had never swallowed it, I think the prickly skin sensations feel like withdrawal but of course if I say that to a doctor they will say it's not possible after one tablet, I am absolutely terrified and just pray this is over soon sad

• Posted

As I understand it - By definition, the plasma concentration of a drug is halved after one elimination half-life. Therefore, in each succeeding half-life, less drug is eliminated. After one half-life the amount of drug remaining in the body is 50% after two half-lives 25%, etc. After 4 half-lives the amount of drug (6.25%) is considered to be negligible regarding its therapeutic effects. If we take 40 hours as the halflife of Mirt. then the amount in your body will be negligible after 4x40 hours - about a week. But of course as you are finding as the amount is dropping your symptoms will get less and less - so am sure you are now well on the way to recovery from it's effects (though of course still open to the problems that caused you to be prescribed  it ).

• Posted

Thank you, someone on another thread kindly posted me some information about the half life too, it does seem as if it is lessening in terms of no more hallucinations and body weakness but it's the itching and prickly feeling that is awful at the moment.

I am so anxious and want this out of my system before I try any other medications, my anxiety was sky high already and this whole experience has knocked me for six, I will be glad when it's all over.

• Posted

Sorry to read of your suffering, a real bad reaction !

I only wanted to add that the itching may be solved with a simple, over the counter anti histamine from the supermarket.  Take for maybe a week.  However, as you had such a bad reaction before, just check with your GP.

Mirt contaons a huge histamine block which may well have triggered your itching.

Hope this helps, best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.