Likely GERD, prolonged chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been experiencing chest pain for the past 5 hours located in the middle of my chest between my ribs just before they join. I'm experiencing a tightness pressing pain when I breath in fully, which becomes more sharp and intense when I burp and swallow food or water. I've had a dose of mylanta double stregnth liquid but it hasn't helped at all. I'm a 21y/o healthy female so it's probably not anything serious, but ofcourse I'm concerned. Has anyone else experienced this and able to make me feel a bit less anxious?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Note: I've been to the doctor about a similar pain before (it was located behind my left rib and much more of a sharp pain) which is when the doctor said it was most likely caused by stomach acid coming back up my oesophagus and causing the pain.

• Posted

That sounds like a gallbladder attack which I had 5 years ago and it started off similarly mild like that and got severe to where I actually thought I was dying. If you haven't Scene It subside with antacid it most certainly is not heartburn or acid reflux period medicine will help relieve some of it. You certainly should visit the doctor because it can become more severe but if you're unsure try another type of medicine like Zantac or Pepcid AC and see if it relieves anything if it does not contact your primary care physician. Hope you feel better

• Posted

Thanks so much! It's 10.30pm at the moment and I don't have any of that medicine in the house. It's nothing too serious though?

• Posted

Scary, isn't it! But yes, you have described my symptoms to a t. I get this every few months and the after effects can last for weeks. Usually otc meds don't touch the pain. I need ppi's and then they take a few days to kick in. Just rest, only eat plain food, little and often and just belch away! Curiously though, have you lifted anything heavy or strained yourself recently, as costochondritis can present in a similar way. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your help! I haven't lifted anything, and I haven't even eaten anything or done any form of exercise that could cause this pain. Have you been to the doctor/been diagnosed with anything?

• Posted

Yes, I have reflux and suffer from gastritis occasionally. I have had 3 endoscopy tests to confirm. Relaxation can help and sometimes eating will help too. Don't whatever you do drink iced water though. ..it's awful for the pain! I found this out by accident.

• Posted

Hi, Bridsta.

Do you have a heartburn too or not at all? Seems like gerd, yes. It can be silent gerd reflux if there is no heartburn.

I too have this tightness in chest and a feeling someone is grabbing my neck.

It happens when we breath air in. The symptoms are asthma or emphysm like, or aspiration pneumonia. So it is far from silent..

You might wanna visit gastro doctor if you continuoe to suffer, to have your esophagus checked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.