PPI v Mastika Gum

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve had GERD for a couple of years, off and on but over the last 12 months it has got steadily worse. I’ve changed my diet and I have been taking Mastika Gum for the last 2 weeks and my symptoms have improved but not gone.

My doctor has now prescribed a PPI (after months of asking) but only for 1 month, however she has said that as soon as I stop, I will suffer from severe acid but this should go. My question is do I try the PPI (sorry I don’t know which one as I’ve not got my prescription with me!) or do I continue with change in diet and Mastkia gum ?

Also, drinking for me is a no no…is there any hope that I will ever have a glass of wine again without taking a packet of antacids with it??

Thank you x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes I think u can do both. What ppi r u taking and why can u only take it for a month? I have been on raniditine for almost 6 mos and it has helped a wee bit but my vocal chords are inflamed very hard to heal. I've changed diet too very frustrating. I am a sub teacher haven't been able to work much. If anyone has had this let me know would love all stories about this gerd stuff. I don't know where I got this but it's caused so much depression in the last 6 mos. thanks

• Posted

It has destroyed my life so much that i went from a passionate reader, a recreational musician to staring at walls in my apartment, i cant breathe normally, concentrate on anything. I hope they cure us as asap. 
    • Posted

I'm on omeprazole, 2nd day and my symptoms are worse and my stomach is so painful! My doctor thinks I will be cured in 1 month, hence the reason I only have bee prescribed 28 tablets. However I believe this is NHS cut backs...so I will argue the case.

My problems are not as badk as yours and Nemiren, I am very thankful for that...and I am sorry you are having such a hard time.

• Posted

I have HH and reflux esoph - Zantac 2 times a day by doc - Mastic gum really helps me and bed up 6 inches - stops it getting in my throat.

Think I may try Milk Thistle as well - good reports on it.

• Posted

Hi Crh, i too, suffer from chronic upper airway inflammation, in October i will have my esophagus checked. It is a very nasty condition that has brought me down, i started to avoid activities such as running,hiking, playing instrument and even reading books, cause i just cant concentrate, while i yawn all the time trying to catch a breath to only get a short term relief.

Do you have a wedge pillow? Did you go to 24 hours ph monitoring, to measure your acidity? You must also stop using nicotine and caffeine if you do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.