Gout in both hands

Posted , 3 users are following.

My twin sister has just been diagnosed with gout,she is 70 and the gout appears to be in both her hands,like you all she have found it very very painfull. The Gp has told her to up her pain killers and will do a blood test at the end of October.She eats a very healthy die does not drink or smoke please can you make some suggestions as what else she can do,she is drinking cherry juice and putting on ice packs.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unless she has another medication - don't mess around with cherry juice or sticking pins in yourself or whatever is the current fad - just take allopurinol or one of the other medications for gout. I had it in my hands (especially the thumbs), and frankly it's bl--dy awful. I would get hold of colchicine rather than pain killers as they will stop the attack in a matter of hours (in my experience) and they are calming down the immune system and stopping joint damage instead of just covering the pain.

PS I don't drink or smoke either.

• Posted

Hi Pauline, well I would say to avoid tomato's. They give me arthritis pain, and while there's no proof of it on paper, I am here to tell you that I'm living proof. Every time I eat tomato's I get arthritis/gout pain all over my joints. I, too have gout, but the pain after eating tomato's worsens, and affects my hand and fingers. These foods are called nightshades. I also notice more pain after eating citrus fruits, this is why I eat apples, avoid citrus fruits or cut down as much as possible... Calcium, turmeric or bromelain help to neutralize some of the pain. This is apart from the foods you're not suppose eat when you have gout. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Nightshades are the Solanaceae family of plants, which include tomatoes (high in purines and will trigger gout) and potatoes (low in purines) aubergines (low in purines). The level of purines and trigger has nothing to do with the nightshade family per se.

It is possible to reduce the level of purines in the diet and mess around with other plants and herbs.

But it's a real pain in the proverbial - especially if you like sardines and tomatoes and 500 other foods.

Or you simply take allopurinol or other drug and eat what you enjoy.

• Posted

Thanks, btw do you know if taking Allopurinol will reduce cholesterol?
    • Posted

Yes I did. What's more it reduces the LDL (bad cholesterol) while not touching the HDL (good cholesterol). My doctor was amazed at how good my cholesterol was, and unaware of this side effect of allopurinol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.