Bunion surgery.... not what i expected!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I recently had bunion surgery!

I had a bone cut on my little toe, tissue removed from my second toe, and two bones cut from my big toe, then they had used two screws and a staple to keep the bone in place! (Left foot)

I am 21 years old, and i am a market trader, so i am always on my feet!

Just a little update!

Today, went to the clinic to take of the bandages and plaster, and removed the stitches.... just a word of caution, if your not good at looking at bloody things, dont look at your foot when they take the bandages off haha! It will deffo look like something out of a horror film!!

Anyway... the first 3 days after surgery, it kills! You will be taking as many painkillers as you can!

But after the 3 days, it goes! Right now, im walking around! Not in any pain what so ever! I thought that i wouldnt be able to walk for at least a couple of weeks! But i guess it varies between people...

I am now in a little cast/plaster, but you literally cant feel anything! The only pain i experienced was within the first 3 days! The burning and aching and no sleeping! But seriously, after that, it goes!

Everyone who replied to my discussion at the beginning! I thank you for everything and all the advice! If i didnt join this site i would be stuck!

If anyone does need help, this is the place!

Thank you everyone! I will update you in 4 weeks time! You can also ask me any questions. Im happy to help!

Dont be scared of the surgery, you will be suprised how quick some of you will recover smile

-Jasmine

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh jasmine thank you so much for posting this, I was slightly scared to read your full post as from the introduction the expectation could have gone either way, but I did read and hope and pray my surgery goes as well as yours,(mines next month) I am literally so scared of the whole process from the anaesthetic to the recovery and the final outcome, this has made me feel slightly better 😊 Thank you

• Posted

Heya! Im glad that it was helpful! Bless! You will be fine! I was a mess when i was going into surger, i was shaking like mad when they were putting me to sleep! But the doctors make you feel good! There isnt much to worry about! Just make sure that after the surgery you must try to keep your foot up for atleast a week before trying to walk! I was a bit impaitent and started hopping along everywhere haha! It shouldnt be too bad! You will be fine!! smile i hope it all goes well! And i hope you have a speedy recovery smile x

Any other questions, please dont hesistate to ask! Ill help you as much as i can smile

• Posted

Thank you I will try to be brave, and thanks for the advice I know I'm going to be impatient too I can't stand sitting around haha, I look forward to your update in 4 weeks 😊 x

• Posted

Oh jasmine thank you so much for posting this, I was slightly scared to read your full post as from the introduction the expectation could have gone either way, but I did read and hope and pray my surgery goes as well as yours,(mines next month) I am literally so scared of the whole process from the anaesthetic to the recovery and the final outcome, this has made me feel slightly better 😊 Thank you

• Posted

Ps sorry for posting twice I'm new to this forum and have no idea what I'm doing lol, also forgot to say I'm so glad your surgery went well and you are having a really good recovery, well done!! Are you having the other foot done at a later stage?

• Posted

Haha! No probs! Im still getting used to this aswell smile thank you!!! Ohhh yeahhhh!! Im deffo going to do the right foot! On my right foot my big toe is currently sitting at a 49 degree angle! That very much needs sorting out! Haha! The way the left toe is looking, im very pleased! When i see my surgeon in the clinic in 4 weeks time, i will discuss about the right foot smile

• Posted

Hi jasmine

I found your advise reassuring and helpful I am due to get my bandages off after week 2 of having both bunions shaved off correction and screws inserted on both feet.I have healed well very swollen still but bruising has come out.Just wondered are you walking around now without the boot or support show as some people are wearing them after 6 weeks. Just wanna heal quick and get back to normal at least been able to get out and about. Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Charlotte!

Thank you for your reply!! Wow both feet! Your amazing! Its now been 3 1/2 weeks for me, and well, ive only just started to bruise! I have a cast on my foot, but it doesnt support my ankle. So now i have a bruised ankle, my ankle does hurt a bit, but not painful enough for pain killers smile

Erm the walking around, well i am walking around a lot! I am using a boot (the one with the big heel), as it is just easier. I walk around the house without the boot. I am also using one crutch when i go out! I dont actually need it, but when you go out in, its more visual for the public, they will be more careful around you smile

Also walking around, the max time i can walk would be 30mins until i will have to sit down again smile

Your just like me, i wanna heal quickly too! I actually miss working haha! But i dont think that ill be wearing the boot when the cast comes off smile i will let you know when i take it off and how it feels smile

Good luck with everything!!! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.