Co codamol addiction how do I tapper off? X

Posted , 6 users are following.

Wondering if anyone can help me. I've been taking co codamol 30/500 for over 10 years. I take 6 a day. I feel I can't function without them but today I've decided I need get off them. ( Today I've taken 3) but that coz I never woke up till 1.

So can anyone tell me what is the best way to tapper off these ??

I hope someone can help me start my journey.

Don't remember the last time I only took 3 a day so suppose I've started but just wondering if this is ok and how do I tapper ?

Hope everyone is ok thanks xxx

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Carla. Best advice I can say is have some good vitamin tablets or fizzys... your going to need a bit boost when your body slowly comes off the coco.

6 a day is not going to be so bad on your system. But would suggest dropping 1 coco a week until your down to 1. I went cold Turkey after 32 a day. The first week was rough. So 6 a day is not such a big impact on your system . Everyone is different however. Good luck and we are here for your guidance and support. Mark.

• Posted

Thanks so much for ur reply !

So like take 5 for a week

Then 4 for a week?

And so on until I'm down to 1?

Ok I will get some vitamins and take them daily smile.

Only had 3 today and I don't feel good at all so shoulf I take another 1 or 2 b4 bed ?

Thanks so much & well done for doing that! Xxx

• Posted

Hi. Well when I say down to 1 I mean until you don't need anymore. Its a mental journey as well has a physical one. From 1to half of one and so on.

Not feeling too good after only a few hours. That's your mental side of it saying hang on we normally have more. You will find your body will increase in pain sensitivity. That's the body saying there you see we need it. Fight that feeling. Don't take them tonight if you think you can hold out until tomorrow. Try just taking 3 again like today! See if you can put up with the not feeling great? If not then start your tapering down by 1a week tomorrow. Here for you if you need us Mark

• Posted

Ok cool thanks so much !!

Much appreciated smile

I took 1 more tonight so that's 4 in total today.

Tomoz I will take 2 in morn 2 afternoon and 1 at night. And do that for a week then I will cut out the 1 in afternoon week after.

I will keep in touch! Thanks again xx

1 day at a time !

How long were u taking co codamol for before u stopped ? And do u ever take 1 if needed now or is that u off them ?

• Posted

Today I slept until 1 so that's how not felt I needed My extra 2. Test will be working days to get through as from tomoz. Xx

• Posted

OK sweet... sounds like a plan. You have to be happy with how you approach it. And you have a plan now. Thats fantastic.

I was taking a mix of coco in the beginning. After awhile they started to make me throw up. That was the paracetamol in them. So went on to N + around 3 years or so I was on them. Chemists knew my face. Asked my son to get them for me one week... knew that was my low point. Decided it was time to stop. That was over a month ago now. I don't ever want to go back on them for pain relieve. Told my GP I was addicted to them and to put that on my file.. I bet there is a massive red flag comes up when someone looks at my notes now lol. I would rather take regular pain killers now. Then risk having to go through that again. Mark x

• Posted

Thats amazing what u done! Especially telling the doctor coz thats like well now u can't get them! That scares me I'm so not there yet lol.

1 month clean of them is amazing ! Well done!!! I can't wait to live my life of not clock watching when I take my next dose to feel

" Normal " again.

Well here's hoping I can do this rolleyes

Thanks for help I will keep u posted !

U should be so proud of yourself coming off them and now helping others !😇

• Posted

Hi Carla. Well done for attempting this. There are some great people here and lots of good advice. Mark sounds really helpful. Try a nice hot bath if you start to ache - that can help. I wish you all the best ... Drew x
    • Posted

Thanks so much. I will do. Just need to stay strong xx
    • Posted

Hey Drew, been a while. How's things going with you? I've gone nowhere fast but trying again this week. Carla your story sounds very similar to mine. I keep trying to taper down but then they just creep up again! This week I am going to join a class and really get into being fit and active. When I work out I get a kick out of the endorphins released. That's the answer. Problem is with me if I get out of being healthy I drink more wine each night, then I smoke more, then I feel rank for work the next day so I take N+ all day to get thru it. So I must break my cycle. Today I'm going to miss my mid morning dose, blitz my house and join a fitness class. Keep checking in Carla, I will too smile Xxx

• Posted

Hiya Jencs. Thanks for asking. I am still around and I am going to try cold turkey. I know if I taper that I will let it creep up again. Getting fit and breaking your routine sounds like a great plan. I hope you manage to do it. x Drew
  • Posted

Hi Carla, Well done for attempting this i'm sure you will do just fine. It good to know that i am not alone in tapering off, many seem to just go cold turkey which trying to lead a normal life and do is just not ideal for me.

I am also tappering off co-codamol, used to take 18 8mg tabs through out the day have been taking these for 2-3 years now, Use to take 30mg but lost my job in a pharmacy which was a small blessing as i could no longer steal them, i then swapped to what i could afford, use to take a pack a day but started to make me really sick so gradually cut down, just not completly. I just reached a point where i feel bad for having to depend on a pill and hate hate hate having to travel far and wide just to get it. And the looks i am getting in nearly all the pharmacies i go to.

Im on week 2 and like Tulixs mentioned i have just cut out 2 tabs on my first week, felt great never really noticed, week 2 i cut out 3 tabs. Not sure if its mentally of physically but i have felt different this week but i am determined to do this. 

I just take one day at a time and i come on here once/twice a day to read through get some tips and advice and am finding it really helpful, we are all in same situation and everyone is so encouraging. Its shocking how many peole have become dependent to a sole ingredient of a over the counter drug. 

Once i come off them i also plan on seeing my GP and informing him of my past issues and make sure he puts a note on my file that i am never to have any medication with codeine in. I do not ever want to touch it again and i dont want to chance ever being prescribed codeine or for any tempetation put my way.

Say strong, remember why you are doing this. You will do this and it will all be worth it.

• Posted

Hey, thanka for ur reply. Well done thats great what u are doing !

I just hope I can do the same! I'm cutting 1tablet a week out. Si far it's the 1 at night .

So I'm taking 2 in morn, 2 afternoon 1 at night then I will cut out 1 in afternoon god knows how I will cope with that but will try. Xx

• Posted

Well done Teresa and I can see that Carla is benefitting from your story. A pharmacist queried me the other day. I felt so small. He said he saw me last week. I had to lie and say it wasn't me. I feel so ashamed and travel miles to get the NP. Last year, another pharmacist refused point blank. There was quite a queue in the shop and I felt so small. I long for the day when this is over x Drew

• Posted

Hi Drew,

I feel for you. Its so embrassing having to answer awkard questions to put up with stares from strangers and to be refused point blank how bad. The pharmacist should have taken you to one side and asked if you were ok and if you needed help, its clear to most professionals that theses are addicted they can spot us a mile oo, they see us often enough to know, it would be nice if they tried to help.

That is one of the main reasons i want to give up. I have been questiuoned so many times im fed up with feeling like a criminal. 

You guys on here are all so supportive, we can all beat this addiction in our own way and on our own terms.

• Posted

Hi Carla.

Thanks, its not easy but im hoping to be painkiller free by xmas will be worth it. I just want to go back to being myself. I have been snappy with family and friends, moody, ive had no sense of humor. In the first few months of taking co-codamol i was buzzing and life and soul but that all changes and by then you are already addicted.

It is just so bloody hard. I wish i could just stop. I find my hardest part of the day is 5pm as i use to take 3 tabs but at the moment im taking 1 and i feel it, i feel as though i have no energy and i am very quite and withdrawn. I do feel some of this is all in my head.

On a plus side it has started to notivce that i have not had to visit many pharmacies and am few £ better off this weeksmile 

I am wondering even when i am completly free of painkillers will i still crave them. 

Can anyone who is codeine free tell me if you still ever crave the drug or how you feel towards it after you have quit?

• Posted

Ur doing great !

I'm due my normal 2 the now but I'm only going to take 1. I've had to lye in bed for a bit and calm down as feeling panicky just now.

Yes by Xmas I hope to be too !

We can do it with each others support xxx

• Posted

Hey all. I remember feeling panicky too. The anxiety tabs helped.. I remember reading somewhere that feel good endorphins are the key here.. and well the only way I could think of to release some of those is to.. well give yourself a treat if you know what I mean.😀😀. X

• Posted

Hi Teresa. I get the impression that we are all pretty respectable people here. There is noting worse than being questioned by a pharmacist. It makes you feel so small. The one who refused point blank did it in front of other customers. I wanted the ground to open up. We can't go on living our lives like thgis. Good luck to you and everyone else x Drew

• Posted

That worries me too. I am looking forward to being free but wonder whether I will crave it. Originally I was buzzing. Not any more. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed this but I find I have no passion. I don't listen to music any more. I don't notice a pretty face. I don't feel excited by anything. It's like I am dead on an emotional level. I'm sure codeine does this. It takes away the fun in life x Drew

• Posted

Hope you don't feel too panicky Carla. It's natural but don't let that beat you x Drew

• Posted

Hi Drew,

I thought it was just me but i dont get excited no more, i use to love reading and i just cant be bothered no more would rather sit in front of tv all day. I have to really push myself to do my housework and i use to be so house proud. I lack any sense of humor what so ever and they only way i can describe it is what you mentioned you feel so dead. It must be the codeine.

• Posted

Hi Carla,

Hope you are keeping well and still staying strong.

Just wanted to see if you were still staying strong and make sure you are feeling well?

You can do this.

• Posted

I really understand Teresa. I have lost my passion and fire. I don't listen to music anymore. I don't read much. I feel no love or emotion. I used to be passionate and loving. It is like I am dead inside. This is the awful effect of codeine x Drew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.