Newly diagnosed with svt, terrified of an ablation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, my name is Gary from Ireland. Newly diagnosed with svt after 13 years trying to capture my infrequent short attacks. Iv been told an ablation can sort this problem . I have not tried medication as of yet, iv a meeting tomorrow morning about the ins and outs of everything about it with a cardiologist.

Iv always been an anxious person especially any surgery of any sort . I'm so seeing is it painful with wires going through your veins.? Can you feel the wires of prodding around..? Are you aware of what's going on...? Any other info is great . Ps I'm terrified 😔😔

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No need to be scared. I felt the same as you before I had my ablation. It's scary when people are doing things with your heart but now that it's done and over it was not nearly as big of a deal as I made it out to be. I remember feeling a dull poke when he went in through the groin but anything beyond that I couldn't feel. There are some minor discomforts when they try to induce arrhythmia but it isn't that bad or terrifying at all. I struggled the most when he was trying to get an area in the middle of my heart but then they gave me more sleepy stuff and I woke myself up snoring to a completed ablation. I'd do a few times more if I had to. You will be fine so try to relax as much as you can.

• Posted

Well said Rawwrr

I had my ablation last june. I was very nervous. Unfortunately mine was unsuccessful as they could not locate the irregular circuit, They feel that it was because I was on a benzo for anxiety. That was very disappointing.

Once I am off the benzos for some time, I will have a second go at it.  

They talk to you and explain everything especially when they know you are anxious. The groin is sore and bruised for a week or so, but nothing big, Just a nice time to relax and heal. i actually the next day got in the car and went up to my cottage to just relax and read and do nothing. It seems odd having the procedure but would do it again in a minute.

The beta blockers were a killer for me, so many side affects so that that is why I chose the ablation.

Please keep us posted as to your decision,

• Posted

That's good that the procedure was not a big deal for you both. Thabks for your thoughts .Seems as though everyone that has had the procedure says it isn't a big deal. I suppose being a generally anxious person with health dosent help . Iv my app with the doc tomorrow so will keep an update here as to my progress. Thanks again for the replies has helped a bit 😊

• Posted

The attending staff immediately sedate you to the point where you're feeling happy with no worries.  No, you can not feel any wires.  The only thing I was aware of was the very muted sensation of a temporarily rapid pulse as the doctor triggered the SVT over and over to identify the heart tissue needing to be removed. That's what he told me, that he did it many times.  I only remember once or twice. Before you know it, you're being wheeled out of there, finished.  

I'm squeamish, can't stand the sight of blood or the thought of being operated on, but this procedure turned out to be no big deal,  especially compared to the anxiety of being in an ER during an episode with docs trying to stop your racing pulse

• Posted

Hi Gary.

I had my ablation done in Vincents. You'll be given stuff to chill you out and next thing it'll all be over and you'll be wondering why you even worried about it.

Irritating maybe but not at all painful.

Hope your's works as well as mine did.

Good luck.

• Posted

No pain, at all, for me, Gary.  Hope you hear similary from other SVT people.  Your anxiety is normal.  Most of us aren't particularly pleased to be cut on or have wires run through our vessels, but the payoff can be terrific. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Don't be scared! The way I looked at it, I figured I should be scared at what could happen if I don't get this procedure done! I'm 4 days post ablation, normally I can't do anything because my chest is always tighg and my heart is increased but after this procedure I feel none of that. Unfortunately, the only downside I've had is the on and off palpitations I've said which I'm told are pretty normal as your heart is healing.. It got burned numerous times and needs time to understand what happened. Of course you'll be nervous, but when I went in I was under sedation (not fully asleep) but I don't remember absolutely anything, I didn't even feel them raise my heart rate to trigger the SVT! Dr's know what they're doing, especially on the heart. Don't worry too much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.