Scan of salivary glands

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone else had a nuclear scan of their salivary glands?  Anyone get a bad result?  This scan was not done to see if I have Sjogren's - that is not in question.  It was done to see the level of function.  I feel very alone so would appreciate knowing of the experience of others. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't have it yet... What they told you after?

• Posted

Thank you, katalin59828, for taking the time to reply to my post.  I am going to give details of my scan in an answer below this.
  • Posted

I've not had a nuclear scan but had an ultrasound scan and was told I was the worse case the doctor had ever seen.  I've had my submandibular gland removed due to stones.  

• Posted

Yes I have had one also to determine function. One of my issues was highlighted to be narrow ducts that do not allow what little saliva there is to pass into the mouth. As a result of the scan it was decided that I should have submandibular plasty which is basically the same angioplasty... a balloon is inserted into the duct and inflated to stretch the narrowing areas. This gives me relief from the symptoms for around 18 months then I go back and have it done again. Easy for me to say, but try not to worry about the scan, it could lead to them finding some way to help with your symptoms .
    • Posted

Thank you, Lilfrank, for taking the time to reply.  It is good that there is something they can do to give you relief.  I will answer in detail what my scan results were in replhying to Sue1247 below.  I know you will receive notification of this update and can read about it there.
  • Posted

Don't worry about it Maureen.  Although uncomfortable at times lack of saliva isn't life threatening.  I also had a 4mm stone removed from the Wharton's duct as it was causing an infection.  I'm sure you've been told this but drink lots of water and massage your glands regularly so that the saliva doesn't stagnate.  I also have a spray as my mouth gets dry overnight and gel that increases the flow.  Both help.  If you can chew gum (without aspartame( then it will stimul;ate the flow. .  I've had salivary problems for well over 40 years and more concerned about the dental aspects than anything else.  

• Posted

Sue, we have something in common.  I was diagnosed with Sjogren's, by blood tests, in 1985 but could date the symptoms back to 1970 so have had the Sjogren's for over 46 years.  I will write down the results from the isotope scan of the salivary glands:  "Findings:  Markedly suppressed uptake of isotope is seen in both the right and left parotid glands and also in both submandibular glands. Following lemon juice administration there is some evidence of reduction of activity within the poorly visualised glands in keeping with some limited function and saliva production  No further abnormality is seen in the region.  Conclusion:  All four main salivary glands show very poor activity in keeping with presumed established Sjogren's syndrome and extensive infiltration."  These results were not unexpected as I cannot chew gum or suck anything - get abrasions, sore tongue, painful lips. and very little extra saliva.  I can understand your concern about the dental aspects as I am in a lot of trouble there also.  My dentist just keeps patching, reglueing crowns, trying to smooth the bits that irritate my dry tongue etc. and all my teeth are so brittle that I have to be very, very careful what I eat.  My mouth also dries out severely at night but the day symptoms depress me more.  Are you able to indicate in some way what the spray is that you use and if it is effective for daytime use?  I find water doesn't help.  Thank you.  (I live in Melbourne, Australia.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.