Should you get the flu vaccine if you have sarcoidosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm just wondering as a sarcoidosis patient should I get the flu vaccine? Anyone have any thoughts?

Polly

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Polly,

I've had sarcoidosis since 1998 and I personally have learned to get the flu vaccine every year. That's mostly due to the medications I've been on (Remicade, methotrexate and prednisone) as my immune system is constantly jeopardized.

Best of luck,

Debie

• Posted

Hi Polly

I have Sarcoidodis and Asthma and my Doctor recommends having the flu vaccination has if you get the flu it won't be as bad

• Posted

Hi polly,

I Won't be getting flu vaccine or pneumonia vaccine this year, as I got them last year in November and by the 1St week of January I had developed bad chest infection and pneumonia in my left lung, so I don't see the point if I'm going to get it anyway clearly my body has enough going on.

Amanda

• Posted

I was thinking the same but I wanted to ask. As a nurse I haven't taken flu vaccine in years. I don't think it makes a difference as a lot of people get a very bad flu after getting the vaccine anyway. This will be my first winter having sarcoidosis I'm lacking knowledge. I have recently got over a chest infection and even though I felt really crap at the time, I'm glad to say I'm feeling good now. I'm back down to 5mgs prednisolone. Hoping I keep feeling good.

Thanks for that Amanda.

Hope you are feeling good at the moment

• Posted

Hey Polly,

Wow your a nurse and not getting the vaccine, it's refreshing to hear that because it's almost bad not to get vaccinated and all I keep being told is you have to you will be better off.

I had never had it before last year and yes I did get a cold after getting then obviously progressed into the infection.

I'm delighted for you that your feeling food, this is my 3Rd continuous winter but just try and take as much vit c as poss and magnesium.

I'm back up to 8 mg a day I was down to 3 4 weeks ago however I had been getting really bad headaches so they up them again, I still get headaches now so will have to call hospital tomorrow as I will now need an mri to investigate further. They asked me to give it 4 weeks see how I got on.

Are you in the uk?

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

I got the flu vaccine through work years ago and my arm swelled up, got really red and I had severe pain down my arm so haven't got it since. I was taking echinacea through the winter months on a two week on two week off basis for a few years and I never got a cold or a flu but boots discontinued it and all the other echinacea brands recommend only taking it when you get a cold or a flu. It has been my experience that a lot of people who take the flu vaccine end up getting a bad flu afterwards and that's what puts me off taking it.

I live in Ireland.

Hope you feel better soon.

Regards,

Polly.

• Posted

I'm not criticising your use of echinacea but my herbalist won't use it for me as apparently it can be counter productive for us sarcoidosis patients. I am currently fighting off an infected cyst as the surgery I was due to undergo couldn't be performed due to the risk of cross infection! 

Regarding the flu jabs, I haven't had them for years as they make me so ill! I do however get my Father to have one as he is prone to bronchitis but he too had an adverse reaction last year so we are going to hibernate!

Trust I haven't offended anyone but thought you might like to know.

• Posted

Thanks for that Rachael. That's good to know. I agree that most people I know who get the flu jab get really sick after it and they are healthy people so I am thinking that if I get it is it going to make me extremely ill and it puts me off getting.

Polly

• Posted

Hey Polly,

I am also in Ireland.

Speaking of healthy people a friend of mine also a very healthy man, never sick, had the jab last year also got pneumonia was very sick to the point of hospital care.

Took 3 weeks to recover and out of work.

I am not risking my health again this year at least with sarcoidosis I can deal with and able to deal with it. Pneumonia not so much.

• Posted

Hi Amanda,

Where in Ireland are you! I'm from Limerick.

Yeah I know a lot of people who got the flu vaccine and were very sick after it. Maybe its time they look at these vaccines they encourage people to take but it makes people so sick that the following year they refuse to take it. You can't blame people really. I knew a man who got the flu jab and he ended up in intensive care with a tracheotomy.

I think I will take my chances and not get it rather than chancing a really bad chest infection which could lead to pneumonia. It was bad enough last year and then to be diagnosed with sarcoidosis in March.

Anyway I'm hoping I'm on the other side and my improvement continues. I'm sick of being sick. I want my life back.

Do you know of any sarcoidosis support groups in Ireland?

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

I'm taking vitamin c and magnesium to protect me against colds and flu. And I know you go to a herbalist and I have heard that zinc helps to combat against them too. Do you think it will help combined with the vitamin c and magnesium.

Regards,

Polly.

• Posted

In all honesty I don't know! I would check with a herbalist as because sarcoid affects the immune system I can't take echinacea which is what is most commonly used for colds etc. If you are in U.K. There are several branches all with  fully qualified practitioners who can advise and/or treat you. Hope this helps

• Posted

Apparently it can hinder rather than help when the immune system has been affected. I am a nightmare patient! It's best to consult a qualified herbalist to clarify your situation as every patient is different

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.