Help re Cataract Recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my first Cataract op in June, prior to my op I spoke to friends and family members who had either had the op or knew of someone who had had the op and practically nobody had had any bother after the op so why me.  After my first eye op I had 4 days of extreme agony then it settled and was absolutely fine but I did at the time of extreme pain vow not to have my other eye done. Since my eye was OK after a few weeks, I decided to have my other eye done, wish I hadnt, it was a different doctor, not that that should have made a difference.  Can I mention, I have read lots of reports on your page from patients who talked about eye shields etc, I was never given or suggested buying one which I would have done gladly and prior to op, I think this may have helped, anyway my second cataract op which I had 2 months after the first op has left me really DOWN there was, the same as the first op, pain, but with this one it was a different pain, it was at the inner side and outer side of my eye and was at its worse when my eye was closed, I dreaded going to bed when I would have to close my eyes to go to sleep. can you imagine. I also have slight distorted vision on the outer side of my eye and like a very fine web over the eye.  Its now 7 weeks after the op and the pain is almost gone, hopefully not to return but who knows, but my eye feels heavy all the time, can live with the distortion, its very slight and can live with the very fine web and probably have to live with the eye feeling heavy.  After all my moan and groans I do have to say that the vision in both eyes is good.  I wonder if this is any help to anyone who has had the op cause I would like to have known of anyone who had similar symptoms as me.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i had cataract removal respectively 4 and 5 years ago. after 50 years of lenses/ glasses to be able to see without either was revelatory

however my eyesight was too poor to allow for  replacement lenses .

i experienced loss of co ordination especially with ball sports which i could n`t explain but which was a little depressing . i wondered if it was simply ageing,  psychosematic or just lack of ability or a combinatin of all of them.

having researched further it seems that loss of lens results in loss of eye `accommodation` viz the flexibility to follow moving objects as they come closer . i don`t know if anything can be done about it but at least i know and can perhaps compensate ., it`s just a little frustrating that the surgeon ./optician didn`t advise of this side effect before ( or since)

nonetheless generally i am very happy with the results at least at the moment

• Posted

Hi Laurence, its good to hear other peoples experiences and what others have to say re eye ops will always be a help to someone else, hope others will tell of their experiences, symptoms and anything else that will help others.  
  • Posted

Ask your doctor if you have styes.  That is what is continuing to plaque me, and is painful, with several different but ongoing  treatments, starting with first surgery in March.  It started immediately, and felt like something in my eye.  I have not seen anyone else report this problem.
    • Posted

Hi Jo, I dont think I have styes, I am going to the optician next week so I will find out if he can see if there is anything wrong and let you know
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your experience it does seem uncommon to have pain from cataract surgery but I am glad you are okay. Which lenses did you get? Did you have any underlying conditions prior to cataract surgery that may have affecfed the pain? I wanted to ask how your vision was like when you had one eye done and not the other. Did you find it uncomfortable living with only one eye that was corrected and one that still had cataracts which led to your decision in getting the second eye done? Or was it bareable and you learned to adapt to it during the inbetween time?
    • Posted

Hi Jason, it so good to hear about other peoples experiences, im not OK, yes, my eyesight is good in both eyes after the op.  I had my right eye done first, the sight in it wasnt good the sight in my left eye was OK but there was a cataract and they advised me to have it removed before it got any worse.  After the op in my right eye I had severe pain for four days then it settled down and was fine.  After the op on my left eye I did have pain, it was a different pain from the pain in right eye and after nearly two months I still have pain and its worse when my eye is closed so when I go to bed and close my eyes its uncomfortable, not nice, dont know whats causing this, I am at the optician next week so I will see if he can find out whats wrong and will let you know.  By the way I have no idea which lens they gave me.
    • Posted

They give you a card which you have to carry with you at all times in case of anything happening to your eyes. On that card with tell type and size.

Then you can google that lens and see if others had any problems.

• Posted

Was never offered a card, it does sound like a very good idea but wouldnt know where to get one
    • Posted

when you have cataract surgery the doctor has to issue you a card which in case something happens to your eye. The card will state what len type and size.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.