MRI Results

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys, I've just hade the results back of a recent MRI scan, and it is showing blood vessels compressing the trigeminal nerve. I have an appointment with my neurologist on the 18th of next month to discuss trearment. I know a few of you have had MVD surgery, and I think this might be the route I will go down. However, I am 63 years old, and have had polio(so anaesthesia is not as straight forward as usual). Any idea how long you were under the anaesthetic? Plus is MVD the only, barring exceptions, longterm solution?

Many thanks

Lynn

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Being able to see the compression in an MRI increases the chance of a successful MVD surgery, which is the best chance at a permanent solution. The procedure takes about 2 hours. I was under for 3-4 hours.
    • Posted

Hello Cliff 71,

Wanted to know how many months b4 the numbness on ur head wents all away, I asked bcause most of my numbness is gone cept 4 a small patch right bhind my ear.

Also, how long did it take u b4 u could sleep on side of head u have surgery on, I can't sleep on side I had surgery on without getting headaches.

Do ur area not wound but any where's about

surrounding it feel a bit soft. Mine feel a bit soft and sometimes when I laugh I can feel it sort of move.

And that happens I stop laughing and just remain still for a while, so I try not to laugh as much as I used to any of this happened to you.

God bless

us and keep us and give us peace

• Posted

Doc said the numbness may take up to a year to go away. It took about 5 weeks before I could sleep on that side. No, no softness or anything unusual. I'm at the 7 week mark, and I feel fine.

• Posted

Lynn,

I am 40 and had my surgery this past June. My surgery took 3.5 hours and it was that long because I had not one, but two arteries on my nerve. He said that is very rare so it is a little more delicate. Just hope that the blood vessel is an artery as the evidence shows a compressing vein is most often not the only cause of the TN, but a compressing artery is. Gamma Knife has shown that, in some folks, it can be a long term solution, but it's not permanent that I know of. MVD is the only permanent solution I am aware of. Please correct me, anyone, if that is not the case.

• Posted

Thank you Colin. I guess I need to wait to see my neurologist to find out what sort of blood vessels are compressing the nerve. 
  • Posted

Hellsfairy,

Four hours.

Tty other procefures first many hsve talked aboit on forum, leave MVD as a ladt resource.

God bless and keep us and give us peace

• Posted

Sometimes other procedures can eliminate the possibility of having MVD surgery in the future, so there's that to consider. MVD is the only procedure with the potential for permanent relief. Everything else is a band-aid.

• Posted

I've had this damned thing for the past 15 years, but it's just gotten slowly worse, with little or no let up in the past 6 months or so. I think I have some research to do - not that I haven't done lots over the years, but nothing beats chatting to folk who know from personal experience. So glad I found this forum.

Thank you again x

• Posted

Hi! I have type 1, and I live in Devon(soon to be Cornwall!) in the UK
    • Posted

And I live in Oxford!How come you ve not had an MRI earlier especially as you ve been 15 years on this path! I have type 2 but not so bad lately....fingers crossed...depends so much on pacing myself! Anyway good luck and hugs! PS Devon is beautiful!
    • Posted

Oxford is lovely too! I've not had an MRI earlier because I was coping with the occasional flare ups, and also I was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of years ago, so was undergoing treatment and then a double mastectomy, closely followed by surgery to fuse my polio ankle!! I said this year I would avoid anymore surgery if possible. The TN started getting worse around the time of my cancer diagnosis, I'm sure that was because of the stress involved. Well at least I can give the TN my full attention now! 

Pleased to hear that your TN hasn't been so bad lately - long may it continue! Hugs to you! x

• Posted

Oh my God dear Hellsfairy you really don't need TN on top of everything else health wise that you've dealt with and no I can understand your reluctance for major surgery again.Absolutely the TN was made worse by the stress of cancer.I have a dislocated shoulder at the moment and have been out of action for about four weeks.I have had enforced rest and therefore relaxation and interestingly enough or not so my facial pain has lessened.The NHS run an 8 week mindfulness for health course which may help you to recover your equilibrium before you consider surgery or whatever.If the waiting list is long for above course I can point you in direction of same course but done privately and very inexpensive.Ask your GP! More hugs as you need many!

• Posted

HellsFairyy

Age is but a number it is all in the Neurosurgeons hands.

Went to Neuro optomologist and was told by Dr. Aniel Patel, who confirmed with the help of my MRI's that my neurology had take aftetr I left hospital that I did indeed have a ministroke

He went on to say thay after 6 hours in MVD surgery that from looking at the test that I had nerve damage from surger and this is what is causing my double vision.

God Bless

us and keep us and give us peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.