TKR and stairs

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm 5 weeks post-op now, steri strips finally off and only using a cane outside. My quads on the operative leg are finally waking up thank heavens, so I feel more mobile. Now my phys therapist is pushing me to walk up stairs "normally".not two feet on the step at a time. It's almost impossible without pulling myself up by a handrail. Anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes I did, as I'd walked up and down for years two feet together I found it very difficult to use stairs properly, I'm 13 wks post 2 nd tkr and 12 mths first one. It still aches walking upstairs but is getting easier coming down. Give yourself time to heal and youll be ok

• Posted

What you're experiencing is due to your qudas being weak, which is absolutely normal for TKR.  It takes a while and a lot of exercise to rebuild what muscle you had.  Think of the steps as being exercise and use what little progress you make day to day as motivation to keep at it.  Rebuilding muscle strength takes time, and only exercise can achieve it.  You've turned the corner where pain only means you're hurting from the surgery.  Now it can mean the pain you used to feel after you went to the gym.  You're building those muscles and working out the joints and asorted parts of the leg.  It's pain from gain.  Give it some time.

• Posted

Crickey !! I have steps to get into my house - 12 in total and am managing well doing one at a time. I must try and do it the "normal" way and see how it goes but I don't imagine it will be fun. I am 5 weeks next Tuesday and down to one crutch and walking without it in the house. Or should I say waddling lol.

• Posted

Do what you can without really hurting yourself.  Do one or two steps the normal way two or three times a day.  The next day add another step or two.  Your strength isn't gong to suddenly reappear.  It's a gradual process.  Be sure to celebrate every new step.  What you are doing isn't easy, and you deserve praise for the little victories you have every day.

• Posted

I think I was still using stairs one at a time at 5 wks. I kept pulling myself up on bottom step using handrails and was determined to do it! you will soon be able to go up normally, maybe in a few wks,I can go up and down fine now at 13 wks tho coming down is a bit painful.
  • Posted

Susan I'm 5 months post TKR and find it painful climbing stairs. I go up as normal now and down holding the rail. My surgeon said it takes 6/12 months for recoveryour. Keep working on strengthening quads and it will come when they are strong enough.😊

• Posted

My partial knee replacement was done in May and now in September I still cannot go up or down steps ! It is so frustrating ! I do the ' one step at a time'. Although little short steps I can do fairly well.

• Posted

Hi, I'm coming up to 6weeks post op, and at 5weeks, I started walking up stairs "normally" but only by pulling myself up with the handrail, I can't walk downstairs "normally" yet.

• Posted

Thanks y'all....guess I am just impatient because we are supposed to use our RV next weekend and I still haven't mastered stairs yet (5 weeks post op)....and there are several deep steps to get into our RV. but no handrail.  I can get up ok, but coming down is a different story....glad I like the inside our RV!

• Posted

Fabulous !!!  I would be using a crutch or cane to help me get up the steps and down again without doing damage to the knee.

Enjoy your trip smile

• Posted

I m 12 weeks post tkr..can manage to use both legs, walking  upstairs, but I m really struggling to walk down..keep trying, but seem to have to twist my leg! I still get lots of pain, front and back of knee abd its stii warm a lot of the time..I ve been exercising in the pool from six weeks...but, if I walk any distance..it still aches..seeing Surgeon in January for second xray, so will let you know if I learn anything about stairs!! Five weeks post op is very early to be aiming for up and down normally!
    • Posted

Hi - I am 3 months out also and can walk normally up stairs but still bunny hop down them !! I can do it normally when at physio but not at home for some mad reasonsmile My knee does not like me standing at all and still gets stiff and painful if I over do things. BUT I have found using the stationary bike is my best remedy for this as it loosens every thing up again. I also do pool work twice a week.

• Posted

Yes..I bicycle in the water and my knee feels so much better..not as stiff..afterwards...feel better knowing I m not way behind..thank you 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.