D-Mammose

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just like to hear from anyone who has had success with this in preventing recurrent UTI infections. thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

i had recurrent infections for 18months but seem to be free for the last 4 mths my urologist recommends dmannose as much as antibiotics. i take  a maintenance dose she recommends 1000mg a day. i have a strict regime when using toilet lean forward  and do more ! probiotics,acidophilus,cranberry tablets,not too much sugar in diet,drink plently,go to the toilet regulary. i have taken a herbal tablet which was used before antibiotics but it is toxic to the liver so you can only take it infrequently. i also use live yoghurt vaginally and vagifem pessaries twice a week, this is used post menopusal as there is a link with uti's and menpausal women. i also take vitamins . use decaf coffee and tea. hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Julie

Thanks for that. I will get some in the next couple of days. Currently on AB but not sure if it will do the job fully. Am also post menopause. Have just tried Estriol cream and a lubricant for the first time. Not sure how long it takes to have effect. Possibly slight relief already but i might be imagining it! Already use cranberry tablets but not regularly. Not sure how effective they are.

• Posted

no urologist not convinced by cranberry but get high strength,don't use juices as have too much sugar. had estriol but vagifem thought to be more effective. take twice a week but straight after infection every day for 2 weeks. think vagifem and dmannose is the key. uva ursi is the herbal stuff you can buy at holland and barrett but make sure it is used sparingly! i only used it for 2-3 days . maximun is five times a year i i saw a gynaecologist with a special interest in uti's in women and she gave the best advice. too many urologists just do the medical tests and seem to prescribe long term antibiotics ! i was put on a low dose antibiotics but i wanted to come off them and suceeded !

urva ursa  broke the cycle of my uti's but it is not pleasant to take ! do your research.

• Posted

Hi there, back in August I started having frequenet urge to urinate, I went to the docs and the urinalysis came back WBC....the cultures were always showing mixed growth, so I went for a repeat, it showed low counts of strep B...I was given Amoxillian but unfortunately I could only take two days worth as I was getting itching, sore throat, and burning lips.....I have reactions to pretty much all the antiiotics used to treat UTI's...so I had to look for other options.....I increased water, cut sugar from diet, started using cranberry supplements, a probiotic that is used to prevent UTI's and D-Mannose.....I also used a vaginal probiotic as the burning was coming from that area.....I found that all my symptoms cleared up.....until I was getting close to my monthly then it all came back....so back to the doctors, all the urinalysis and cultures came back negative....so despite there being irriatation we are not sure what is causing, so I have went back to what I did last month and hope that I get the same relief.  Looking forward to talking to a uroligist to find out what is causing this.  

• Posted

Hi Katejo

I have had no luck with Dmannose. I keep reading all these wonderful stories of people that have but it wasnt to be for me.

I had a nasty ecoli infection I had to get AB's for and it cleared the worst of it but it hung around for quite awhile. I stayed on large doises of Dmannose for a good couple of months but I never felt like it helped one bit (Unlike something, say Urva Ursi that helped a little)

Dmannose here is really expensive (like $50 for 50g) so it just wasnt worthwhile me to continue. It seems to help a lot of people but not me. I should have known since cranberry never helped either.

Good Luck

• Posted

I have just ordered some D Mannose to try. On the supplier's website there is an article which claims that cranberry doesn't help. In fact it goers as far as saying that it makes things worse.. Can't say whether thks is accurate but I have had no success with cranberry tablets.

• Posted

Dmannose is whats in cranberry thats is the element that supposedly works.

Cranberry juice doesnt as its just cranberry flavoured sugar juice, but actual cranberry tablets have Dmannose in them, which is what is supposed to help.

• Posted

Hasnt helped me. In fact it made me put on weight as well as having yet another UTI.   Kylz is right...its the same sugar thats in Cranberry and that hasnt helped either.  I've had this for years and the only thing that worked for me was a fairly high dose of oestrogen in vaginal pessary form [vagifem]. Then the manufacturer lowered the dose several years ago and back came the dreaded UTI.   I'm now trying Ovestin vaginal cream.   I'm convinced that it is something to do with oestrogen levels and as you get older you are more likely to get it. Possibly the extra oestrogen in medication can help to plump up the urethra ???

• Posted

I am currently trying Estriol (another oestrogen cream) for the first time. It does seem effective so far. i have only been using it for 4-5 days but it did give some relief straight away so I will carry on. Am hoping that i won't need to use it continuously but will have to see. Am feeling much better than last week so fingers crossed. I have ordered 1 bottle of D mannosa so will give it  a try.

• Posted

Can you get this cream over the counter, or do you have to get a prescription?  

• Posted

No it's prescription only. I just happened to have some which the GP gave me last year and I hadn't used.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.