Recovered from acute pancreatitis...a nice story

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was in the hospital for 5 days in June after an ER visit that I thought was food poisoning.  Had a lovely dinner (sauteed brussel sprouts and a rich pasta dish) along with 2 glasses of red wine (normally drink more red wine at dinner).  Awoke at 2am with severe cramps and lots of vomiting which once it subsided a bit, didn't alleviate the pain.  More vomiting in ER and a discovery that my amylase level was over 3000!  Admitted immediately and given morphine for pain. No food or water for 3 days, lots of tests, lots of dilaudid shots, omg it was awful. Swelled up like a 9 month old pregnant lady and lost 12 lbs. over the course of the month.  Upon returning home I was not 'right" for at least 3-4 weeks-weird pains in upper abdomen, etc.  Anyway, it occurred to me that as of right now, 3 months later, I'm feeling back to normal.  I don't drink alcohol except for special occasions and when I do, it's only a glass.  They never were able to tell what caused the flare up but my doctor didn't think it was from alcohol or rich food.  I recently turned 50 so I think it had something to do with all the changes in my body of late.  Anway, I wanted to post something for anyone who may be in the recovery stage and feeling a bit hopeless-it does end and you can get through it!  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm beginning to wonder if all my abdominal/pancreas problems are linked. I'm 51 and have been having pre-menopausal symptoms for a couple of years then, bam, this flare-up/attack which has really knocked me for six. Thank God I didn't have the vomiting but everything else. Apart from the head of my pancreas being inflamed they can't find anything else wrong. Last resort EUS coming up. I'm at my wits end - constant pain, worse around my period (whenever that decides to turn up). Maybe it'll all stop when my periods do?

• Posted

I have not had a period since March so maybe you will get better when they stop completely? I certainly hope so! The only things I can say that were different before my episode was that I had gained 10 lbs, lacked energy to exercise, and while my alcohol intake was the same as always, I wonder if the changes going on in my body were affecting my ability to process the alcohol and rich food? 
  • Posted

I am genuinely so thrilled for you! I wish I could say the same, but 7 years later and I still have 'attacks'.....

I can't pin it down to anything specific, and have given up trying. One of the participants in this Forum suggested Gastric Enzymes, which I have just started taking - so here's hoping.....

Anyway, I hope that you remain symptom free with no reoccurances - so great to hear a 'Happy Ending' story.

• Posted

Thanks for the post I am 10 weeks post attack still feeling bad food is not my friend . I too had no know cause had 2 better days lately hopeful but worried
    • Posted

It's absolutely amazing how Complex and varied this affliction is??? I'm pretty sure it has the Doctors baffled most of the time ad well - kinda like a hit or miss with the treatment...

I certainly hope u are on the road to a full recovery, because only sufferers can understand how truly debilitating Pancreatitis can be......

Good luck & good health :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.