Has anyone had complications after hemorrhoid surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I decided to go with surgery after i was left with a skin tag after previous hemorrhoid episode. I knew that I have internal and there times that i would bleed every other month. However I learned my trigger foods that were making my hemorrhoids worse such us raw nuts, excess of processed sugar in my diet or cider. Once i cut them out from my diet I stopped bleeding and i was pain free during BM. However, i still decided that the skin tag has to go.

I had my operation on 26th of August and i was physically feeling great after and surgeon also told me that apart from removing skin tag he has also removed internal hemorrhoid - great! I was given two types painkillers (ibuprofen and dihydrocodeine), antibiotics (metronidazole) and movicol liquid to drink twice a day. When i got home i was quite afraid to drink movicol at that stage as i didn't want to go tho the bathroom just yet. That was the biggest mistake. Once you leave hospital you need to start drinking as anesthesia makes feces hard. I had first BM around 4am the following morning and i was in extreme pain. I took hot shower to sooth the area and went for the strong painkillers.

1st week - I kept having painful BM twice a day that week but the shower and painkillers kept the pain in bay. During the first week somehow i managed to catch flu.

2nd week - I noticed that the incisions came apart, were sore and still i was getting a bit of blood in my discharge. I went to my GP same day. After examination he said, which was quite alarming, he didn't know what the surgeon has done. There were no stitches and instead of removing the skin tag the surgeon removed just half of it and managed to create another one! The GP sent me back home with another dose of antibiotics. Also I stopped taking painkillers at the beginning of that week.

3rd week - I, at last, felt like i started to heal! The discharge almost stopped, the BM were just a bit uncomfortable and the pain would disappear just after BM, i had more energy and gone back to work.4th week - I had some blood during BM and the pain came back to the point where i had to take strong painkillers to control it. I thought i would be just one day but i was feeling pain the following day as well. I called my GP and i went to see him same morning.He again said that he wasn't sure what the surgeon has done, there was still discharge, the external skin tags were swollen as well as internal wall where the incision were. As i have hospital appointment in to weeks time my GP said  that the appointment cannot be moved and he can't send me to hospital as this is not an emergency. I was sent away with two creams. One, which is Bactroban - an antibiotic, has been quite helpful and i need to apply on the skin tags and the area three times a day. Other cream that i was given is called Germoloids  which is an ointment for piles. This i was told to apply twice a day till my hospital appointment. I used that cream twice and in both cases i experience a lot of pain so I stopped using that.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, interestingly I had an external skin tag and feel which the surgeon said he removed, but 5 days post op I feel like it's still there, bigger, swollen and tender. I can't see any stictches from my two external Hemorroid's which were removed and I did not have any internal ones. I would be interested to know how you get on with the skin tags. Thanks.

• Posted

I have done some research and no stiches on this area actually promotes better healing. I can see the point of that. So far mornings are the worst – the skin tags are swollen and painful and I tend to start my morning with painkillers. Once I start moving which is quite painful at first, the pain goes way and I can start my day and the swelling goes away by midday. Evening are not too bad till another BM but the discomfort goes away after a nice hot shower. Seems like the skin tags get swollen during the night and if I don’t get up in the morning and start moving the swelling does not go away. Also I still have puss after the op. Hopefully some things will be explained at my appointment next week. The recovering is taking a lot of my energy and time and I wish I was able to do things that I was able before the operation. I suppose I just need to stay positive and embrace the time.

Let me know how is your progress.

• Posted

Hi, it sounds like quite a hassle for you to get going on a morning.

I am only 8 days post surgery today. I was finding morning difficult to get out of the house due to requiring the toilet at both 10&11am. I think this was because I was taking my stool softener in the evening. So I started taking it after lunch so I would go on the evening and then hopefully earlier in the morning. I haven't taken it since yesterday as I had a little watery stool so I'm waiting to see, no doubt I will have constipation next!

i went to see my doctor today and he said the wound is healing well and the swelling will go down after 5-6 weeks. It does see, to have decreased a little but I still feel like there is a small grape there and now also a harder lump. The doctor said to continue with sitz baths, hydrocortisone and stool softener for 5-6 weeks now). 

I have no pain now so I will see as I'm back again in two weeks.

hope your morning get better and let us know how you get on. I feel it's good to share with people who know what your going through.

• Posted

it seems like everyone here who has had surgery developed complications later on. I have hemorrhoids (both internal and external) but they are not painful now. I'm just worried that they will become bigger again and the pain will come back and so I take plenty of water everyday. my main problem is that there seems like no one ever gets 'total' healing from these things. at first I thought I had pinworms (long story) which again I was worried that I would have to learn to live with them but then it turned out I had hemorrhoids. I was relieved but now I'm worried again that I may never heal even if I managed to get surgery. though a friend sent me plenty of suppositories and painkillers, I still have fear of the future. I really do hope u heal completely (all the people here) and post.

• Posted

Hi yoh, 

I decided to have surgery because I had quite large skin tag. I have figured out what was making the condition worse and I’ve implemented changes. If you have skin tag and you don’t mind this then you shouldn’t have an operation. Just watch your body and what you eat to find out what is triggering haemorrhoids to become swollen.

If you decide to have operation just remember that everyone heals differently. For some it is a longer road to recovery and for other shorter. I for instance have been having a longer road. At last I had appointment at hospital and i was told why I’ve been in so much pain in the past couple of weeks. I have a tear just inside and I was prescribed cream to apply on this for 6 weeks. Even after first day of using this cream the pain subsided significantly.

If you have any concerns just ask. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.