Extreme heat in shaft of penis + vertical erection

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

For a couple of years now, if I masturbate later in the evening or right before going to sleep, I will sometimes wake up several times through the night with extreme heat and soreness (for lack of better words; I don't know how else to describe it) in my shaft once my penis is erect.

This "heat" only arises when I become erect while sleeping due to the normal nocturnal penile tumescence, and will almost completely go away once the erection does.

The only way I am able to get rid of the pain is by either waiting it out (which I am not fond of because of how extremely uncomfortable it is), or literally putting an ice pack on it. I literally have to grab a bag of ice from the freezer and apply it to that region in order for the heat/soreness to go away (by making the erection go away) and be able to sleep again.

I have never been able to find anything about this sort of thing online no matter where or how I describe it. 

Can someone help me out here?

On to the vertical erection topic:

Whenever I get a very hard erection (so hard I can barely move it vertically at all), my "member" sticks up at pretty much an un-natural 90 degree angle (yes, literally around 90 degrees) with almost no ability of moving it downwards without ending up hurting myself.

What is going on there? 

Thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction. I'm not sure what to do or ask anymore.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How old are you?  The first part just sounds like an extreme case of "morning wood".  I used to have something similar myself, though it was uncomfortable rather than painful.  Sadly, it only happens once or twice every couple of weeks now, and it doesn't last as long, but it used to be very difficult to urinate first thing in the morning when I was younger.  I couldn't urinate till it went soft, but it wouldn't go soft until I'd urinated.  I never used ice, but I'd splash cold water on it to get to the stage where I could squeeze the urine out in short bursts.

Sticking up at a 90 degree angle doesn't sound unusual, especially for a younger man.  I presume you mean vertical when you're standing up btw.  Again, I used to be like that myself (I'm now 50).  It limits sexual positions, and it could make it difficult to take a leak if I'm not in the shower, but it's not a big deal.  Women sometimes seemed to be surprised that they couldn't lean back if they were on top without it being painful.  There is an operation you can have to change the "angle of the dangle", but I wouldn't bother if I were you unless it makes sex painful, and you're already over maybe 25.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.

I am currently 18.

For what you've described, is it normal that this "extreme case of morning wood" only occurs if masturbation occurred in the hours prior to it? I ask this as normally morning wood would just be the erection, but what causes the extreme discomfort to come only when erect and only if masturbation was recent? Now, it doesn't actually affect me being able to urinate (only the 2nd issue below about the vertical erection causes an issue with urination); it just affects my ability to sleep peacefully without waking up several times. The odd part is that even if I were to get an erection during the day after masturbation, I usually don't get any discomfort or, if I did, it would be more of a feeling of mild soreness than actual discomfort.

As for the angle,  it's almost vertical to my belly (it is indeed vertical in relation to my standing up). It's barely adjustable when in that position due to its very hardened state. You say age may eventually change this?

Thanks again for your response.

• Posted

I used to get regardless of whether I'd masturbated or not, but it wasn't really painful, and hardly ever woke me up.

How many nights would this wake you up in a typical week, and how many times in total?  If it's regularly disturbing your sleep, then that does become a health issue.

You could try googling "painful nocturnal penile tumescence" btw.

• Posted

Thanks again.

The only times it wakes me up are if I've masturbated right before going to sleep, and even then maybe a 1/3 chance. 

Also, your suggested google search doesn't seem to give me any useful information.

Update for main issue: I am now almost entirely sure that the soreness is in my urethra, with most of the soreness being around the perineum.

Would you or anyone have any ideas with that updated information?

• Posted

That wouldn't sound so unusual except the pain seems lower than I'd expect, and you've said it's so painful you've put an ice pack on it.  If it's that painful, I'd definitely consider talking to a doctor, though I'm not sure if they'd be able to help or not.

If you masturbate or have sex late at night, I'd recommend taking a leak before you go to sleep (if you don't already do that).  If I don't, then I can almost guarantee I'll need to get up in the middle of the night.

• Posted

Hey man

Have u search about peyronie disease? I think u may have this problem. I had something like that, i think I know what u are feeling 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.