Tested positive for Epstein-Barr, and confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

1. Does this mean that I currently have EBV or that I had it earlier in life? If earlier in life, is the virus still in me or does the test below only show antibodies to the virus?

2. Does this mean I had mononucleosis at one point as well?

3. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of complications or links to other diseases or conditions as a result of having/having had EBV? Thanks for your feedback.

BLOOD TEST RESULTS: EBV AB PANEL

EBV AB/CAPSID, IGG >750.0 U/mL, High

Reference range: 0.0 - 21.9

EBV AB/CAPSID, IGM <10.0 U/mL

Reference range: 0.0 - 43.9

EBV AB/NUCLEAR AG 45.6 U/mL, High

Reference range: 0.0 - 21.9

EBV AB EARLY D 5.9 U/mL

Reference range: 0.0 - 10.9

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm not a doctor or with any knowledge of the blood test results you have written, but from personal experience my understanding is that if you have tested positive for EBV then it means you possibly or even likely have glandular fever / mono. The thing about EBV I learnt when I had it is that about 75% of adults have the virus in their body, but it lies dormant  - for example once you are over the mono stage the virus still is in your body but it is dormant and has been dealt with by your immune system, but wouldn't show up as positive on a blood test at a later stage.

However remember I'm not a doctor so best to speak to a doctor about these kind of things, just a few bits of information I have gathered over the years. The key thing is not to worry - mono is a nasty virus but you do get over it and recover and feel well again - I am not aware of any complications that arise in the vast majority of cases of people with EBV other than getting through the initial period of slog of having mono.

Thinking of you and you will get better - hang in there.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Thanks for replying, Craig. I actually don't feel sick at the moment; just dealing with some depression and anxiety and the EBV panel was one of the tests my doctor ordered to try to pinpoint what was giving me these ailments for the first time in my life. I just read on the CDC website: "Most people get infected with EBV at some point in their lives." I have also read that up to 90% of  the population test positive for EBV as I have. Well, I guess that makes me feel somewhat better.

I still am not sure if I still have some of the EB virus inside me, or if I had a positive blood test because the lab discovered EB antibodies in my blood. If those infected with EBV carry it for life, can we pass it on to others even after it has subsided and is no longer causing symptoms?

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Dfresh.

Depending on how the blood test read, your test can show a few different scenarios. Id refer to this chart from the mayo clinic: 

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/interpretive-guide/?alpha=E&unit_code=84421

Having EBV doesnt necessarily mean you had mono. The only way to determine if you had mono would be through a monospot test. Everyone eventually has EBV and the levels are really unimportant in determining anything except that you either have active EBV or it was active. 

Hope this was helpful. 

• Posted

Hi Jeff,

Hmmm, in looking at that chart and my blood results, I don't see "VCA" in my results but I do see "capsid", IgG and IgM. Since I am positive for IgG and nuclear, according to the chart that means I had a "past infection". So I did get infected with EBV at one point in my life, and I may have developed mono from it but I don't recall - it could have been in my childhood sometime. Thanks for your response!

• Posted

Hi DFresh,

No need to worry because if you have been infected with EBV then you don't pass it on to people once you have recovered from the initial illness, so for example if you had mono / glandular fever five years ago and have recovered well (which most people do eventually even though it's hard at the time), you wouldn't be infectious or pass it on to anyone even though the virus would lie dormat in your blood stream.

Key thing is to do your best not to worry about these things, I know it's very difficult. Dealing with anxiety / depression is hard enough on its own, so these other issues I wouldn't worry about unless you felt ill whilst showing positive for EBV. I believe you will feel better from your anxiety and depression, totally believe that without any doubt in my mind, having dealt with that before too it's mentally, emotionally and physically draining so just concentrate on taking some time out and giving yourself time and space to recover - you definitely deserve that and you will recover.

Craig

• Posted

Thanks very much for the kind words, Craig. Since I came down with depression and anxiety, whenever I feel really down I start believing that I'm always going to be that way and that I'm never going to be like my old self again...and that's when the suicidal thoughts strike. Before this year, I never would have thought that I'd ever be mentally ill, and a part of me still can't accept that I am indeed suffering from clinical depression and anxiety. But I try to remind myself when I'm feeling really down that the way I'm perceiving reality at that time is not accurate; it's a distorted view thanks to my messed up neurotransmitters. I will keep battling, at least for my family's sake.

As for transmitting EBV, I did get some conflicting information from someone else who told me that once you get infected with EBV, you can indeed pass it on when the virus is in its "shedding" phase. What makes this worse is that you can't tell when this "shedding" is going on. Here's a link to Dr. Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebv+shedding&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Posted

Hi DFresh,

There is nothing worse than feeling the way you have been, depression and mental illness is the worst and when going through it you just don't ever know if you will survive it or come out of the other side. But you will, you really will, please seek help if you have suicidal thoughts because there will be groups out there that can help - certainly of course your doctor but also there may be voluntary groups which are more approachable and understandable to these things - worth a look on the internet maybe.

You will get through this awful time, there is a recovery, sometimes things just get overwhelming for us and we need to take time out - so don't put too much pressure on yourself or think too far ahead, just concentrate on getting through each moment and hour and day when feeling that way - that's all you can do, and I truly believe there is brighter days there for you - it won't always be this way so just give yourself space and time to get through it. Distraction is good even doing positive things to try and take your mind off circumstances that don't cause too much stress either, just small things even like a walk or fresh air if that's possible. Also if you can try and keep in some kind of routine, not a stressful one, just a nice positive routine that helps you through the day, that can help too.

Honestly I would not worry one bit about the EBV stuff. If the stats are true that 75% or 90% or whatever of the population has it, it means that all those people can pass it on - I feel sure from everything I have read and gained knowledge on that it doesn't get passed on after the initial period so don't worry at all.

Take care and thinking of you

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Again, thanks very much for the friendly, reassuring message. You're a good guy. I am battling hard to get back to normal. Lately I have been exercising (jogging), meditating, trying to sleep more, take it easy and avoid stress, etc. Also eating better. I have scheduled a sleep study to hopefully figure out why I am waking up every morning at 4:00-4:30 with anxiety, and I have also seen a good psychiatrist.

The major problems for me, other than the insomnia, are anhedonia and brain fog. Ever since I crashed with the breakdown back in May, it's like my brain just doesn't want to work normally like it used to. I have tried taking supplements to help my brain recover and they don't seem to have done much good.

At this point I just have to count on my brain fixing itself and getting its neurotransmitters back in order. Even though it's hard, I'm going to keep trying to live my life like normal, even if my depression and anxiety are telling me to just lie in bed all day. Thanks again for your kind words and advice; I agree with them. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Hey DFresh,

You're doing all the right things, exercise is great, jogging is brilliant if you are able to, it is even better for the mind than it is for the body I'd say. If you can find something like that you enjoy it can be a real escapism and stress reliever.

Just so sorry to hear you are having this tough time, but tough times pass so don't panic if there are days or periods when your thinking doesn't feel straight, it will return again. B complex supplements are good for these kind of things. You may already be on medication but if not an anti-depressant is definitely worth thinking about as it can make such a difference to restoring things. Sometimes it can be a chemical imbalance that is very easily fixed with a tablet.

You're doing all you can and yes definitely try to live your life normally, but also be kind to yourself and don't expect too much of yourself or put yourself under too much pressure while recovering either - that's important too - I really believe you will get stronger again it's still quite raw if it happened in May but you will get stronger and stronger as time goes on and find a full recovery in time. Lots to be optimistic about for the future my friend, so don't be disheartened!

Take care

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.