Scoliosis at 23.. will i be recommended for surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was first diagnosed with scoliosis at 16 went through the process for surgery but I changed my mind at 18.. now I have regular pain on a daily basis, I have a slight progression in curvuture which is an s shaped curve.. I was just wondering what my chances of surgery are.. do you think they will say I am too old as most people are 16? Has anyone been in a similar situation ??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I think your dr. would be the best one to answer that question. I had my first surgery at 11 - wasn't really a choice, my parents were told I most likely would not survive past young adulthood due to the severity of the curve, which would have impacted my internal organs.

At age 48 I was diagnosed with a slight tailbone curvature, which was causing me crippling pain. The dr. told me I was a candidate for surgery at that age. He wanted to insert rods to stabilize my lower spine, which is similar to what I had done on my upper spine as a child. Instead, I began practicing Bikram Yoga. 3.5 years later, the pain has yet to return - I'm completely able-bodied, and probably have a healthier spine than most people, despite my scoliosis.

• Posted

What are the parts that you are in pain?
    • Posted

Before my first surgery, I would have spasms in my middle back. In my late 40s I started having severe lower back pain due to my curved tailbone. Once I started my Bikram practice, the pain went away.
  • Posted

Hi, You  are not  too old for surgery. I had my done  at 57. My thoracic curve 71degree. It will depend on the curve, anything more than 40 deg is usually operable, and depending if the pain can be managed. The wait for surgery is quite long and not to be taken lightly. A talk with your GP will decide if they will put you on a consultants list. Good luck.
  • Posted

Dear Natalie,

We can give a free medical opinion with the right treatment plan for your case if you send us your medical reports and MRI.

Best,

• Posted

Hi there my consultant refused to do surgery on me so my dad ask for a second opinion and the consultant said to my dad let me tell you there is 2 doctors that do these operations in the country and he is one of them. Then he said thete not a doctor in the country that would do the operation on me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.