recent gout attack

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello guys i am 28 years old and have been dignosed with gout sad i have had 3 attacks in the last 3 months my has perscribed me allopurinol 300mg, its been week weeeks since my gout attack and my foot still hurts when i walk will this pain go away eventaully? any advice would be great 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The pain usually does go away. Try to stay off the foot. You can try warm foot baths with or without bat salts. The warmth may help increase solubility of uric acid crystals and bring it back into solution.  Increase water intake can help clear the excess uric acid from the body. Taking some of the 'naturopathic' remedies helps some - tart cherry juice, malic acid (supplements), celery seed all help me. You may want to research the trigger foods (high in purine or fructose) to reduce consumption of those. Organ meats, some fish, beer and alcohol in general, sweet fruit juices or artificial stuff sweetened with high fructose corn syrup are all culprits. Some find that pain killers actually make things a bit worse. Get a decent pair of high quality comfortable shoes (once you can bear to put shoes on again) because they made a world of difference for me. It is hard at first and I don't know of any doctor who will give you a guarantee that anything will go away or get better but, for most of us who have spent time with this ailment will tell you it gets better. Welcome to the 'club'. Wishing you the best in the days to come......    

• Posted

hi sorry to hear that , did the doctor only prescribe you allopurinol 300mg ? if so ypu need to stop them and start taking a painkiller like arcoxia 120 first and when the pain is gone , then start again allopurinol but with them you need to start colchicine to suppress any attack the allopurinol would normally give when you start taking them. I was advised to take colchicine for 3 months and it worked for me , hope it work for you too
    • Posted

Yes, that's right, if you start Alluprinol without colchicine you are likely to have an attck until your uric acid level is sorted. If you are on 300mg I can only presume that your level must be very high. Unfortunately Colchicine made me very ill, and I had to stop taking it.

• Posted

Hi guys yea the doctor only gave me 300mg of allopurinol my pain went and decided to play football and the next morning my joint has swollen up it doesn't feel like a gout attack my toe is pulsing a lot tho. Why would it be swolllen again is this due to damaged muscle tissue or did the exercise trigger an attack?

• Posted

My foot constantly hurts, whteher I have an attack or not. I just hope you have better and more caring doctors than I do
    • Posted

How much colchicine was you taking ? I was taking 1 morning and 1 night but i dont like the colchicine so after 2 months im taking only the morning one with the allopurinol
    • Posted

I was given it during an attack, and was on 4 a day. Aftertwo days I was so ill I thought I was going to die.When I had my next attack I was in a lot of pain, so I tried taking 2 a day to see it would help. After 6 tablets I was very ill again. I don't know why doctors don't pescrtibe this drug to people with constipation

• Posted

Hi there, I started to get gout when I was in my early 20's.  I was then prescribed allopurinol 300mg. Though this made the attack in my foot worse.  I avoided all foods high in protein and drank 2L of water a day.  I also at the time was not a drinker of alcohol, so that did not factor in.  I was also prescibed diclofenac and various pain killers as most of the time I was off my feet.

The pain from the first few attacks seems the longest and for me they did go away and at time I could walk and play football with no issues.

In my mid thirties I had 12 attacks in one year and was either using a walking stick or once in a wheelchair.  I have found for me that buying from a health food shop Turmeric in capsules in which I digest 2 per evening seems to remove gout completely for me.  This is not a cure as I do get mild attacks and I still take the allopurinol as this protects my kidneys from any further damage.

I have discusssed this treatment with my GP and he is happy for me to continue.  I have had multiple blood tests and these all come back normal, which is good news.  I hope that any of the above will be a help for you.

Regards

Gerard

• Posted

The pain will go away when the damage and imflammation from the Uric acid crystals disolves. The best therapy for uric acid crystals that I've found is high potency bromelain - GDU 2500 or more. Bromelain disolves the uric acid crystals in your joints. Its best taken on an empty stomach. 30 minutes or so after you take it, you can feel the pain an inflammation going away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.