Difficulty in breathing after VATS surgery - Is it normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Recently I just had my second total lung collapse on my left side (tension pneumothorax). The first time I just got the drains and after several days at the hospital, my lungs expanded back to normal. The second time, I also had a total lung collapse on my left side. The doctor did a VATS operation in order to permanetly fix it, as it was a reoccurence. I left the hospital 3 days ago with a positive x-ray and confirmation that my lungs expanded perfectly. 

However since the VATS operation I experience intense difficulty in breathing. 

Is it normal to have difficulty in breathing after VATS surgery? Like it's difficult to fully fill lungs? Thanks for your answers! I highly appriciate your input.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes it'll take quite a while for it to be ok again and if anything like me it never fully goes back to normal unfortunately.

• Posted

Thank you for your feedback. I was worried about not being able to confotably breath, but now I got calm. Hope you gonna fully recover soon. 
  • Posted

Yes it does take a while for things to go back to normal (well I hope it does for you) I also got VATS on my left lung an shortly after my right lung spontaneously collapsed lucky not large enough for drains healed in time. Everybody is different and each to there own but I couldn't recommend giving yoga a go and learning and training the body to stretch and breath again. When I felt comfortable I started it and after a month of doing it twice a week could take big deep breaths and couldn't feel more amazing in my life now 6months after. I still get short of breath every now and then but sit and relax and breath for a moment and everything is perfect again 😊😊 I hope you find your way and everything goes well for you xx

• Posted

Thank you very much for your input and suggestion! I am going to try yoga to develop my breathing capacity. Thanks for the good wishes smile 

I hope you will feel good and remain healthy for the rest of your life.

• Posted

Hi there, I am 54 years of age with a 35 year history of smoking 25 - 30 strong cigarettes/day. Seven weeks ago I had an open right lung biopsy by means of VATS. In my opinion I was doing great post op. About 3 weeks after the op, I started getting shortness of breath, chest pains, needing to rest after walking about 200 meters, out of breath after walking up a flight of stairs. A year ago I was cycling 20 miles in roughly 75 minutes. I have not touched a single cigarette for the past 51 days. Had a chest xray and surgical consultation on Wednesday. Doc said I must expect SOB cos I've had a surgery. Said my chest xray was good.He didn't even bother listening to my chest. Basically he was saying that my symptoms are in the mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.