Diverticulitis Liquid Diets and Diarrhea

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry to throw that last "D" word in my Title line but please, I need some more advice or comments from those who have had diverticulitis:

Before I was diagnosed (but apparently was experiencing diverticulitis), I had been eating solid foods and had regular bowel movements.

Then after the doc did diagnose me with the disease; I was put on a clear liquid diet. Presumably, because I had, had solids; I still had a couple of regular bowel movements.while on the this liquid diet.

My question is, and maybe this is a naive question (I kinda hope it is); is it common to now have diarrhea since I'm only consuming clear liquids?

Side note: after almost 72 hours of just the clear liquid diet, I became very fatigued and worried I might be creating other issues because I know my caloric intake was extremely low....I could only drink so much broth or apple, grape or cranberry juice, as well as water. So I did eat a banana, chewed it to mush and ate it. Then a little later a protein shake. Both of those greatly helped to restore some energy. But otherwise, still no solids.

Is the diarrhea normal at this stage of five diet/ condition?

Most grateful for any responses

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is unfortunately. I had diarrhea on a clear liquid diet for about 3 weeks. On the fourth week it did get better, I started eating very bland (eggs, white toast, a banana). I am on my sixth week of my diagnosis and first flair up (and four day hospital stay), and last night was the first time I ate a small salad with grilled chicken. I am pretty much staying with protein shakes, chicken and rice, mashed potatoes. I am taking it very slow and I understand this is pretty much my life long eating. Drink lots of water and keep a food diary - it helps. More than anything, keep your spirits up!!

Good luck! Take care!

• Posted

Your "Doom and Gloom " lifetime diet, is not strictly correct. 

Whilst the colon needs to heal, bland, non irriating food (that needs

no chewing as such) is obviously better. If you pick a spot, it will

not get better !!!!!!  The diet is there just as long as you have a flare

and it calms down.Then eat small meals, including what you like, and just leave out heavy stuff, like beef ,lamb. 

Chew everything well and enjoy. ,,,,,and keep everything moving towards THE EXIT 

• Posted

I certainly didn't mean to be doom and gloom! I guess being new to this, I'm a bit nervous about eating real food! I love Italian food, but am not sure how that will settle. I've already resigned to the fact that I probably shouldn't eat red meat.

Going through my first flair - I just don't want to go through it again so - I'm overly cautious. But, that's me!

Thanks for your input!

• Posted

It's just not you, it's all of us when we start with this food fiasco.

You WILL eventually take charge  of your body again,  Italian , Spanish

French . English,, all food, Mince could be a bit dodgy, as we never know how much indigestible gristle is in it,

I know that we have all been scared off eating by the medicals, but

there is still no proof that anything edible causes flares. Probably 

a shed load of stress won't help , Eat ,otherwise you will become ill

with something else.  Maltesers always cheer me up. I do eat more 

or less what I used to eat, but I do peel fruit, 

Now, get some pasta on the go, just dress it with butter, and ENJOY 

• Posted

Hi Renee,once you are feeling better slowly increase your fiber,its your best friend,take a fiber supplement like Reucol ,Lepicol etc from Holland and Barrett which also has Probiotics added,it will be your best friend,hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

I think if you are not experiencing pain [ps do they have you on cipro & flagl?] if so those are very strong antibs and reak havick on the stomache, diarea is one of the side effects] if not I only stay on the liquid diet for a day , then I start small scrabbled eggs, yogurt,toast, oatmeal , then I start my fiber regiment again, as I have said before on these discussions, keeping it moving seems to be the best way to keep the infections away , if you have good ins, you may want to try another doctor, I am a believer that all doctors had to pass doc school to become one, BUT some got A's and some Got C's research your doctors for every thing, where they when to school, if they are board certified in thier field & so on good luck my friend eek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.