Endoscopy showed damage but biopsy was fine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had endoscopy last week and on the endoscopy it's self it showed decreased folds in the duodenum. I have all the symptoms of celiac when I eat gluten.... so 6 yrs ago they just said I was intolerant to cut out gluten but I developed other problems 7 months ago. So they were trying to figure out why I can't have dairy or fructose... when thoes test were negative.

Could I realy have had celiac 6 yrs ago and then I went gluten free and so my intestines appear damaged to the naked eye but are now fine under the microscope?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi K.kgirl,

If I were a betting man I would bet on the fact that you have Celiac Disease.  I know, I know ... the doc says no.  Well, you have pretty concrete symptoms.  Dary and fructose challenges falls perfectly in line.  I have been on FODMAP even though I am NOT IBS.  I eat Lactaid like candy - which does help with dairy products.  It is miserable but it is what it is.  Treat yourself like Celiac and you will feel much better.

Laurie

• Posted

My doctor is not sure she said it realy sounds like celiac because dairy and fructose can go hand in hand with it.. and my symptoms of when I consume Guten she said sounds like celiac as well..... iv been following the gluten free diet for 6 yrs amd stricked that's why I think the biopsy showed damage to the naked eye but under the microscope they appear ok because they've healed..... my gi doctor is going to call the doctor who did my endoscopy. And ask him... because on my endoscopy paper itself it says very suspicious for celiac.. but the biopsy was fine..... iv also read to get a accurate biopsy and tests you have to be eating gluten for at least 3 months... and my gi doctor side no she's not going to make me. We will figure it out with what we have..

I guess I'm just getting tired of all the circles that are happening of me getting told yes I have it but no I don't. To ummm in not sure what is going on.... the gluten right now isn't my issue but would be nice to know if eventually I can try to add it back or not...

Also would be nice to have it in recorded if I did to watch out for other issues.......

I mean I already have lupus

• Posted

Until now most Doctors that if villa of intestine is normal by eye or under micrescope

they told you have no Celiac disease BECAUSE they didn't know there is another

disease have the same symptoms of celiac . This disease called Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) which detected by blood test not by Endoscopy!!

This hapend with me and with thousand misreble patients . 8 years i had NCGS

without diagnosis . So at last some one told me to avoid eat wheat products so

I did and my life change from that time . Our  doctors follow a protocols issued by

univesities of medicine and FDA .and have very little area to use their brains for

diagnosis. Be careful and you and other similler cases to go to nutrition Doctors

to manage your specific food . Good luck and health for all and sorry for my poor English

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.