Stopping zopiclone.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I live in New Zealand, I have been taking Zopiclone for seven years due to back pain, I am now coming of it...I was wondering if it is Ok if I check in here sometimes as I progress rather than landing it all on my family.  I read these messages on here and know how hard it is for many of you. I have come off Zopiclone once before so I know it can be done.   I am so sick of fearing the doctor and worrying about prescriptions.  I would be grateful if we could offer each other moral support - thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

No probs id b interested in ur story, how did u end up on zop for back pain? What dose do u take?
    • Posted

Hi I had ME in the 1980's and later developed horrible spine pain which relapses.   I could not sleep for the pain so took Halcion for two years, 10 years later Zopiclone and had another bout and this one has lasted for five years. Inbetween I have worked and raised a family.  I was treated pretty horrible when I was on Halcion and I had to stop it overnight, I did not sleep for two days and than fell asleep for 4 hours and got my old sleep back. I still had the back pain but I forced myself to grin and bear it and slept...it got better to a point I hardly noticed it over a year.   It happened again with the pain, same story, but tapered down Zopiclone over 10 days and than lost a night sleep and than unbelievably slept the next night.  I had a lot less back pain so it was easier.   Now this current time, friggin pain came back and this time very severe.  I kept the dose under control until six months ago when the Health Service here substiuted a tablet of less quality and I went up to one and a half Zopiclone 7.8 mg.    Well my doctor was not happy and she went on holiday and yesterday her partner said no more Zopiclone and substituted Temazepam.  Hmmm!!!  I am really over being seen as a problem at the surgery, so I am going to tough out the pain just like in the past and use two panadiene to sleep.  So wish me luck, I know eventually I will just drop into sleep...but it is getting there.  I did not sleep last night.  I do get pretty determined about this when I decide to stop zopiclone, because I do not like anyone having power over me.  However, I do not wish to burden my family with my fears and worries.  Thank you weenett.

• Posted

Hi Delia

its a long time to be on Zopiclone,I'm absolutely amazed that your GP kept you on it that long I was only on it a couple of months and it did me no good I used to feel so flat the next morning and having Fibro and CFS I didn't need it .  Have you tried acupuncture or hydrotherapy for your back pain? Movement helps I know when you are in constant pain it feels like NOTHING works at all, but it takes time physically and mentally to get your body to respond to a new routine, even Massage helps some as a lot of back pain is muscle related. I wonder are you able to do gentle swimming or short walks ? It takes time to adjust to a new routine and if you have someone you could do exercise of some sort it would start you on the road to strengthening those big back muscles that are probably rock hard and hence painful. Let us all know how you get on, failing any of this do you have an MS therapy centre near you in New Zealand if so maybe it would be a good idea to ask your GP if Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment may help it is being used to help all sorts of Chronic pain it's worth asking .

all the best dear I hope you get something that will bring you relief, pain is very debilitating you WILL find help just explore other avenues especially those that do your body the least harm.  😊

• Posted

My back pain is osteo arthritis and chondritis it cannot stand being touched.  I do keep physically active, in fact the physio said a couple of days ago I was pretty flexible considering everything since age 23, I am now 58.  I don't mind the pain so much during the day, it is at bedtime it is severe, after being up all day.  Not much but time seems to have helped it over the years.  Anyway I will hang in over the next day or so and hopefully just nod off.  Thanks Lynn.

• Posted

Oh you POOR thing I feel for you my hubby has rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and has awful pain he's like you, manages to put up with it in the day then like you at night. Have you tried local anesthetiser pain patches to put the patch exactly on the worst painful area? Don't forget to check out the oxygen treatment if you have to pay for it it will not be as expensive as you think if it can help people with Chronic pain maybe it can help you too. Godbless you and direct you to get the help you need to have less pain till the day when pain will be no more.x

• Posted

Thank you very much Lynn, that is a very good suggestion about patches and your husband has my sympathy vote as you can imagine.  I am not sure if we have the oxygen treatment here.  Fortunately much of our care in NZ is like the UK NHS, we are very  lucky.   Bless you to.  Now I am going to concentrate on getting some sleep.  Actually managed a whole conversation at the supermarket, the things we can do.
  • Posted

Hi again Delia 

just wanted to let you know the name of the medicated local anaesthesia patches my hubby uses are Versatis 5%  with 700mgs of Lidocaine (which is what dentists use when you have work done ) he finds them effective for arthritic hip pain you have it on for twelve hours and then have 12 hours with it off , so he puts it on an hour or so before bed.the other smaller patch he uses on his arms is called Matrifen transdermal patch which contains 50mcgs of the drug Fentanyl , I hope this helps dear just so you can go armed to your doc and see if they will try you on one or the other or both so you can get some pain relief and sleep .

Best wishes . Lynn

• Posted

Hi Lynn

Thank you for that, I will speak to my GP about it.

Delia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.