has anyone had a really horrible painful experience while being awake during a scs implant?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with CRPS and I went into surgery for an SCS implant after two trials. Something terrible happened. I was wide awake for it. I have had an EMG since and now it says I have polyneuropathy. Having another EMG soon. Anyone heard of anything remotely close to this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You will be awake during the trial thats normal. Its So they can ask questions anout the placement of the leads. I'm not sure what you mean by "EMG," so I can't really address that part if your post?

• Posted

Thanks for responding. Perhaps you should read it again. I understand I was to be awake, after all, I had two trials before the actual implant.
    • Posted

EMG (Electromyography) It is part of a nerve conduction test.
    • Posted

I guess I'm so not understanding your question? You stated "something horrible happened," and you were wide awake. So what happened during the procedure? A lot of people have all different types of neuropathy; hence the need for the spinal cord stimulator. So it's a little confusing.

• Posted

If I knew what happened, I'd be glad to share. Something horrible and painful happened. They did something that caused me to scream out in pain. I wanted to die in that moment. I have no clue and they are not telling me. Now I'm diagnosed with something that I didn't have prior to going into that surgery. Hopefully after seeing a neurologist today I will get some better answers.

• Posted

Hi there

I recently had permanent insertion of both a thoracic SCS for my left leg and a cervical SCS for my arm. They did procedures separately as thoracic one I had to be awake as well for the surgery so they could know when they were in correct spot essentially (I'm a retired RN that worked in OR, So I knew what to expect) and we agreed that once they we're done needing me to be awake they would put me in a deep sleep (not a general anaesthetic, but deep enough I shouldn't know what was going on. I was also promised lots of local anaesthetic during procedure in case I wasn't 'deep' enough) I also had a horrible experience of feeling everything they were doing!! From scalpel cutting skin to dissection of further tissue that I knew I shouldn't be feeling and they obviously thought I was asleep and being face down and tied down it took me a few horrific moments to get their attention by screaming bloody murder!! They immediately stopped (I think my neurosurgeon was horrified) and anaesthesia dealt with further inducing my sleep to point I don't remember anything else until recovery room. When I mentioned experience to surgeon after I think they we're hoping I had forgotten (some anaesthetic drugs have amnesia properties) he said 'so you do remember that??! ' he was very apologetic as was my anaesthetist. But the a in in those moments was unbelievable and I will never forget that horrific experience. They did not mention that I had developed something unusual so I am concerned for you and what that all means. I am so pleased to hear you're seeing a neurologist about this though and am very curious to know what happened and what this all means for you and your CRPS/RSD, so please keep us posted and let us know.

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Andrea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.