Swimming during Achilles rupture recovery

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm waiting to hear back from my physical therapist...I was curious if anyone used any pool workouts or swimming as part of their Achilles rupture recovery. I want to know what kind of workouts/exercises did you do. I'm 10 weeks post injury and am just starting to transition out of the boot.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I am 8 weeks out from surgery and have been back at the gym for about 4 weeks. PT has me doing range of motion exercises using resistance bands (loops around foot, using foot and ankle joint to pull L, R, up and down against resistance). Stationary bike 20-30 minutes; balance board, calf raises.  Hip abduction, adduction, squats. Balance--get small muscles and bones in foot and ankle engaged. I still have swelling and use various ice packs several times a day. Exercises as tolerated: discomfort, but not pain. Lots of advice online via Google "Achilles injury."  Did you do the surgery?  

• Posted

No surgery for me,doc didn't recommend it - l'm super pumped to get this boot 100% off and get back to normal actitivites. My current PT is calf raises both feet transferring as much weight to my bad leg as possible, calf stretches and walking out of the boot as much as tolerated (I was also using the bands up until a week ago before the boot was coming off). I do as many exercises at home as possible but I'm about to start going to the gym again to use the bike and pool so your input is super helpful - do you do all of those exercises without the boot? I'd be scared of the balance board! Hope your recovery continues to go well!

• Posted

I have been out of the boot about 2 weeks. Balance Board in front of wall. Apparently my PT Has me doing weight bearing exercises that help with range of motion and balance. Seems to be effective. As you said walking is getting a little better each day. Still have a slight hitch in my "gitalong."

• Posted

No surgery required. I am 18 weeks in. But still in boot, as I stand on my feet for long periods, it's taking longer. Started hydro and found really beneficial doing the exercises. Mainly stretching. Going up on my tiptoes and down on a step. Sitting in a chair paddling my legs and walking up and down the pool. I could really feel it working. Cannot wait to get rid of the boot, as it seems like a lifetime it's been on!

• Posted

18 weeks is a heck of a long time ! unless your situation is unique or there were complications 18 weeks is unessecessary
    • Posted

I know.,They decided against surgery for risk of infection, thinking now I wish I had it. I'm having trouble with flexing walking down stairs. I'm doing all the exercises. Feels like standing on broken glass in my heel. I'm seeing the consultant in a couple of weeks so hoping to get some answers.

• Posted

Im 10 weeks post op. As soon as cast came off 6 weeks in it. 5 days later the op i had got infected. Was stopped from wearing the boot or having any physio. Only in the last few days the infection is clearing and was shown how to put pressure and walk flat crutches. The op has healed but the stiffness is unbelievable. Also interested in trying swimming once the op has comp healed. Look fwd to any advice. Im still thinking physio needs to be done. I call this injury archillies from hell. In every sense of the word.
    • Posted

Thanks for the input on the pool exercises - I'm not much of a swimmer so I'm curious if the lap swimmer will mind sharing the pool with me hope you get better soon! Keep at it!

• Posted

Glad your infection is clearing and you're on the mend! I've been walking without the boot for 4 days and the stiffness gets better each day.

• Posted

I'm not a swimmer but walking in the pool at week 12 after achilles tendon injury helped my recovery. I went at quiet times to the pool.

• Posted

Hi. I tore Achilles on may 14. Had surgery on may 19th. I will be 2 weeks in this cast and this Friday I will get stitches out and then another cast for 6 weeks. After that I go in to a boot, not sure for how long. Can anyone advise if it is OK to go in to a swimming pool when in the boot? Is it OK to remove the boot for swimming as we are going on holidays in July ? Also I have kept leg elevated a lot over the last week, first week post surgery. How long is it necessary to keep leg elevated? Once I go into boot will I be partially weight bearing/walking at that stage, so 8 weeks post surgery...
    • Posted

Hello, Ash

Sorry about the injury and subsequent surgery. One thing for sure; it is a slow, sometimes frustrating recovery process.

I am not a doc; a doc would be best to answer your question. My surgeon told me primary purpose of boot and downward toe position was to protect Achilles repair early on. I only took boot off to shower; crutches into shower were dangerous in my opinion. You will see others here that reinjured falling or slipping.

My opinion, based on this, is swimming would be risky to repair. Stepping in a hole, or on something, getting kicked, for example.

Hope it all works out for you, and you have a complete and speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Rob. Ya its a frustrating one definitely. Maybe by end of July I might be further along enough that doc might allow me in pool. Thoughts of Spain without pool not good..
    • Posted

I had ruptured my Achilles may 26th. Had surgery a week later. They put me in a cast. I went back 2 weeks later to get staples out and they put me in a cast again and told me 4 more weeks. But I wasn't in much pain and I had already started putting weight on it. I wanted a boot but to no avail. I was reading online different people experience. And i ordered my the ossur boot. I bought a drill and cut the cast off. Since I have been in my boot and weight bearing, it is speeding up my recovery. I am 3 weeks in now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.