Neck injury

Posted , 4 users are following.

so years ago I fell onto the shower holder (i've attached a picture) and punctured my neck. as soon as i pulled myself off the holder the blood started squirting out. sort of in double squirts and it travelled quite far like at least 30cm. does this suggest that i hit an artery?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

OMG it sounds like it but I must ask what did you do to stop it as its obvious your still with us smile

• Posted

I used all of my strength to push a bath towel into my neck as hard as possible which meant that i was also choking myself a bit but it was the only way to stop the bleeding. By the time the paramedics arrived the blood was oozing out rather than squirting so I guess the fact that I have thrombophilia (too much blood clotting) saved my life smile

• Posted

That's a happy ending to a really scary situation, imagine if you had feinted, sadly you would probably no longer be with us.

It was probably not the main artery as the ambulance wouldn't have got to you quick enough, but does sound like you caught something quite bad.

Glad you were lucky enough to survive.

• Posted

Well done for having the good sense to use appropriate treatment with the towel.
  • Posted

Holly,

You definitely hit something vital, it's a good thing that you have this clotting disorder. What did the Doctors say the damage was when you got to the hospital ? I would definetly want some kind of test run to see what damage it had if you haven't yet ... Take care of yourself and keep us updated... God Bless

• Posted

Well this clotting disorder is good and bad to be honest. Yes it saved my life when I had the shower accident but this month i have developed a DVT in my arm. It is only now that I am finding out about the clotting problems. Before when I had the accident, we all just thought i survived due to luck.

?I can't remember what the doctor said really, I was given strong painkillers and told I had to stay in bed for a week afterwards. I think he was confused as to how i survived also.

• Posted

Holly75952,

Dang, I guess you never know something until you experience it and then find out later what the real issue was. How are they gonna treat the DVT in your arm ? Have they said ? Are they gonna give you a blood thinner or do surgery to take it out ? I hope they figure out how to help you and I hate that your going through this now. Keep us updated on your condition and I hope everything goes well and as always God Bless You.

• Posted

sorry for the delay!

?well i've been on anticoagulants since september and i am due to have surgery to remove my first rib in the hope that this prevents me getting clots in the future.

?I'm not sure if i will have to take blood thinners for life or if i can come off them after surgery. I am just waiting now smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.