Broken 5th metatarsal slightly displaced:(

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been reading this thread for awhile now and I've decided to seek some advice!

So 4 weeks ago on September 1st I broke my 5th metatarsal, it was slightly displaced and right away my doctor said no weight bearing for 8 weeks, put me in a hard cast and crutches. Then at my follow up appointment 2 weeks in my doctor began to say I may be able to start weight bearing at 4 weeks and seemed pretty positive about it so therefore I started to look forward to it. Yesterday was my 4 week appointment and my doctor walked in and acted like I wouldn't be able to start weight bearing yet before even looking at my X-rays or my foot. (Weird). He examined them and decided I need to wait at least another two weeks and told me I'm not healing as quickly as I should be. Which was very concerning and then he walked out without any questions answered. At this point I'm frustrated and confused. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (I've been basically on bed rest for the past 4 weeks and have not weight bared at all) has this occurred to anyone else ? Not healing as quickly as you should be? Does it sound like BS? Should I see another doctor ?

Thank you I'm advanced to anyone who answers, this has been the longest 4 weeks of my life!

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah,

I feel for you. Are you sure he didn't see the x-ray prior to seeing you? A dr that doesn't answer questions, NO! I see no harm in getting a second opinion. Make sure that he is able to transfer your x-rays via his electronic system. I urge you to do this Now, I hope you don't have to wait to get an appointment, call around for an orthopedic surgeon. Good Luck, keep me updated.

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary thanks for answering !

I'm not sure if he saw the X-rays prior... Maybe. I want to trust him but the way he acted and left me clueless made me uncomfortable and questionable of his practice. I probably will try to get a second opinion this week! Just cannot take sitting idle any longer !

• Posted

Hi same for me but with a bunionectonomy and toe fusion and 2nd toe hammer toe correction. Originally my doc said in 4 weeks I'll be driving well I'm not and I'm going on week 7. He also originally said 6 - 8 weeks out of work now it's 3 months. Although they should tell us worse case scenario maybe it's taking longer for you to heal than originally thought. I'd keep doing everything right and eventually everything will fall into place. I don't know your age but I'm 49 and my doc said if he did the same work to a 16 year old he or she would of been healed already. Feel better and don't worry but ask questions to your doc too!!!

• Posted

Hi Krissy thanks for answering !

Oh no ! That's very rough sad I'm sorry you are dealing with this. That's the thing I'm only 22 and before this I was very active and I'm very healthy. Now Im really hoping this doesn't extend past 8 weeks! You mentioned not being able to drive but are you able to walk ?

• Posted

Thanks so much for the well wishes. Nope can't drive yet. Walking better each day with a boot and a cane still but the most important thing is elevation so I spent a BIG part of my ass on the couch. Me too.. very active so I understand. Keep your mind busy things to do studying movies have people over to visit evrn if it's once a week to help you along time will keep moving!! Don't worry I think your the 2nd perain ice talked to beside me with longer healing than others...your young this will be behind you soon enough Very very long process

• Posted

It took me Forever and I mean forever to finally walk! And I had surgery and was going to physical therapy! I just couldn't put any weight on the foot... Almost like it was frozen. Stiff and couldn't take any steps at all. Fear, pain.. Not sure really, well past 6 months, happened in February and July 4 th I was still using the walker/scooter. Awful. Try a cane and brooks gym shoes. Good luck

• Posted

Hi thanks for responding!

Your experience sounds awful and definitely did not make me feel better lol. I'm only 22 though so that's why I was surprised I wasn't healing as quickly as I should be. I know everyone heals differently. How are you waking today ?

• Posted

Sarah I'm walking pretty good. Not running! I'm 54 and I for what ever reason just could not walk?! My surgeon had had enough of my crap! Your foot is fine!! Walk!! He just kept saying walk! LOL I would be crying in the room repeating I can't ! Just a nightmare really. My last visit with him in August I was going to use my walker as a joke. Then he would of really thought I was nuts. But I was done using that walker/ scooter ! So I did not do it. But told him I was going to ! LOL I'm just glad it's finally over.

• Posted

I would have to say it's according to your age, etc. I've been down since 3/10/16 with 6 fusions on right foot metatarsals. Doctors always seem aloof to me.  I try to relate it to my knowing more than my children did when they were young. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's healed when it's not. I looked at my last xrays with my doc and asked him to show me why I hadn't healed properly. He pointed out spaces that showed up as white spaces between the bone meaning the bone hadn't fused properly. 4 weeks is a short time for a bone to union and be healed.  Remember it's a bone we put all of our weight on.  I've been called an impatient patient many times in my life. Unless you feel your doctor is not caring for you properly I wouldn't seek another opinion.

• Posted

Yes age does. I'm 54, and I had osteopenia . And never broke a bone in in my entire life. Litterly forgot how to walk.

• Posted

I'm pretty sure genetics kicks in.  My Mother had horrible feet.  Had bunions, as well as other foot problems.  I don't think many think to care for the feet that will help to hold you up all your life.  I'm pretty sure we take them for granted.  Once you see an X-ray of your feet and see how tiny the bones are that are relied on day after day to help you walk, you get a better prospective. No other bones in our body take as much daily abuse as the  metatarsals in your feet. Even if you have a sedentary job. One has to think about it to realize.

• Posted

Thanks for the response ! I'm only 22 and healthy so I thought I would have healed pretty normally. Why didn't you heal properly? Did you walk too soon ? You're probably right that I'm being impatient but he had seemed like I was going to be weight bearing in 4 weeks so it was s big let down, and unsettling to hear i wasn't healing as quickly as I should be.

• Posted

You're right I 100 percent did take my feet for granted and I never will again ! Learning lesson I guess!

• Posted

You're lucky to have youth on your side.  At 22, you have many, many years ahead and a few more weeks of non weight bearing will make those years much more comfortable.  Take it from a person who was a high impact aerobics and step-class instructor, I was my own worst enemy. When you're healed, try and remember the doc has probably seen thousands of problems just like yours and even though they can be smug and condescending they probably know what's best.  This last surgery I had, involved fusing all my metatarsals on the right foot.  I was 8 weeks in a wheelchair because knee surgery prevented me from using the scooter. I own a homebased craft business and couldn't even make my product because It required a sewing machine.  

I'm 7 months out and walking in a good athletic shoe.  But still have days of pain and swelling if I'm on my feet too much. I wish you all the luck.  Are you from the USA?  I live in Texas and my doctor prescribed a product that's supposed to increase the growth of bone. I'm not able to give the name on this forum, but it did help me heal a little faster.  

• Posted

Yes you make a good point. I just wish there was a way to be progressive in this injury instead of just staying immobile. And yikes 8 weeks in a wheel chair sad so sorry to hear that but I'm glad to hear you're walking pretty good now ! Time heals all wounds I guess. And yes I'm from the US, maybe I will inquire about that medication. Are there side effects ?

• Posted

There are no side effects. I really felt like it was doing nothing, because the treatments, lasting about 20 minutes, were painless.   "Podiatry Today" has an article about bone stims.No products are promoted, recommended or sold. It's just a summary of how it works and possible benefits.  I'm not sure your doctor would even prescribe it since you're so young and didn't have surgery. We're not allowed to post websites or actual product names for obvious reasons, but I'm sure this forum wants those posting and asking for help with their foot problems would welcome any input that might help a patient recover.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.