low blood sugar with adrenal insufficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else had experience with lower than normal blood sugar levels after eating with adrenal insufficiency?

My fasting sugar is 5.2 - 5.3mmol. When I eat, my sugars go up...as is normal. But then within 2-3 hours, I get shaky and have cognitive difficulty. It's like having tunnel vision or something.

My sugars don't get that low though...down to 4.7 mmol is the lowest I've recorded yet. But it all improves if I eat.

I'm being treated for adrenal insufficiency with a borderline am cortisol of 10. Anyone else have experience with this?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had exact same problem for years. But I have opposite to addisons. Primary aldosteronism. I have found Mediterranean diet. Sugar free and eating regularly with snack before bed helps. Good luck
  • Posted

Hello Adrianne I'm Rachel me myself had the same same experience that you are having i went through the low blood sugars at the time I didn't hve a clue to what was going on with me every time I would eat a meal while doing so i would pass out while eating,when i would come to i would be confused, shaking, sweating, visual problems, a severe headache, constipation,severe stomach problems, low urine output, couldn't couldn't stop crying, hands continued to shake. After testing i finally got a diagnoses of adrenal insufficiency i was immediately told to go to the pharmacy immediately that evening and start hydrocortisone immediately. Once i started the medince the low blood sugar cleared up which would drop down to the lowest being 530

• Posted

I apologize i accidentally hit the send button, i was saying that my lowest was 53 put it was always under 80 the Dr was concerned with the numbers so i was told when ones cortisol levels are low so will their blood sugars. My others symptoms stopped once meds were started, i still hve severe headaches with vision loss in my left eye i will have a MRI in next week to check for a tumor. It has been a rough ride, i hve so many other problems going on that needs to be diagnosed. I do wish you all the best i will keep you in my prayers hpe that i was helpful. Take care!!

ALWAYS RACHEL

• Posted

Yes, I have the same problems. I am currently taking Hydrcortisone but this causes me to experience high blood pressure but this is apparently a known side-effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.