Plantar Fasciitis and leg pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, can anyone help please - I'm a teacher on my feet all day, not overweight (well maybe a little) and I've had PF for a while. I wear inserts in my shoes. During the summer I wore flat sandals and now my feet and legs are in agony. During the day, if I make the mistake of sitting down for a while I can hardly get up, the pain in my legs and feet is so bad it takes a few seconds to get going again. Does anyone else get this?  I'm worried that its something separate from the PF.

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

The worst thing for PF is flat shoes like sandals and flipflops.

Whilst walking or standing you need sturdy support for the longitudinal arch and the latitudinal arch.

I do hope you find relief.

Best regards

• Posted

Yes, lovely sandals but I'm paying th price now! I'm searching for some good orthotics now smile

Thank you

• Posted

PF is usually just in your feet, mostly heels and arch. I am a retired physician and the fact that your legs hurt is bothersome to me.

Is it your Achilles tendon which can be associated with PF or your calves?

Are your calves swollen or red and warm? Which part of your leg are we talking about?

You need to be sure it is not thrombophlebitis ( blood clots in your calf veins ) which can be a much bigger problem.

If it is thrombophlebitis, you need to get an Ultrasound for diagnosis and get treatment. For now, take some aspirin and see if it helps at all. Aspirin is a potent antithrombolitic drug ( prevents clots - makes the blood less sticky ).

• Posted

Thank you, yes I was thinking of getting it checked out properly - its so painful.
  • Posted

I suggest you go for a blood test I have plantar fascitis I'm a 13 year old boy who's now overweight. My pf is getting worse and my doctor suggested that I go for a blood test you should ask ur doctor 

• Posted

Gout is one thing they can test for ask ur docter

• Posted

I realize you are 13 and I think it is great that you want to help but this is a forum for plantar fasciitis. Gout is a systemic problem and can be checked with a blood test for uric acid levels. It can cause a form of arthritis and has nothing at all to do with plantar fasciitis. please look up gouty arthritis on wikipedia.

Though your intentions may be good, I think you may be confusing everyone.

• Posted

I find that also. If I sit too long have to stretch out again to avoid pain.
    • Posted

Yes the stretching is one thing I really try to do as it does help with the tightness,
    • Posted

To clarify I have to stretch my calves/heel so my foot won't hurt. I missed that you said legs hurt.

• Posted

Saraaniie said she's not sure if it's something else

• Posted

try lying when in bed with a pillow under the back of your knees and do your foot exercises too. turn your toes up as far as they can go .don't use your hands... do this every time you sit down.get some elasticated foot inserts that fit on your ankle. i too have shoe inserts but finding these don't help. i still have foot pain but not so much i can actually walk on my foot now. and get some high deep shoes or trainers . NOT flat shoes or sandals---- ones with a back to them.and massage them with movicol (like deep heat). keep at it  daily .but mainly bend your toes up so that you can feel the muscles in the backs of your legs tighten...

• Posted

Do you mean not to wear flats and to wear a slight heel or to wear shoes that are not flat in the sense that the sides are higher so they support you more?

I am having a difficult time trying to figure out why my pain seems to come and go. Sometimes it's almost gone and then the next day it will be really bad. Also what's movical? Is that s cream? (I'm in USA) thanks

• Posted

no flat shoes... these don't give any support. i find a thick soled pair of trainers give more support or shoes that have an arch support..and high backs. my pain comes and goes -- mine is more back pain related.which is why the pain comes and goes. ask your dr for an MRI scan.on your back.. i found i have a slipped disc which could account for my foot pain.

• Posted

movicol is a gel for aching muscle and a deep heat treatment..but you need to massage your foot well..trainers are sneakers..but no flat shoes as this make the foot pain worse.. as you are in usa get a gel that has a deep heat treatment for muscles pains. my friend in usa has same problem she uses VOLTAREN GEL, AND ALSO BUY  DREAMKO arch sleeves for your feet. wear on both feet not just the one that hurts.
    • Posted

The voltaren never did anything for me. Wintergreen pure essential oil after a hot Epsom salt soak did though.
    • Posted

Will try both if I can find them.

Did anyone have a good outcome using a night splint? Going back to doc on Thursday snd he mentioned that

• Posted

The only thing the night splint did for me was make my toes fall asleep. It wouldn't fall asleep if I loosened the splint but then the splint didn't do any good either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.