my chest infection caused my heart rate to beat at over 200 beats per minute.This has worried me.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all.I was watching the TV the other night and suddenly my heart beat was going so fast I could feel it in my throat.the experience was awfully painful.At first I thought it was a anxiety attack but they only usually last an hour so this was going on for at least 11 hours.my partner called the ambulance and I was taken to hospital.They had to give me a drug to slow my heart rate. Down.Eventually it slowed down to 72 and I felt so much better.It turns out that i have a chest infection.But how can a chest infection cause a rapid heart rate.If anyone could give me some advice I would be very grateful.thanks.kelly

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi kelly

Horrible story. Guess you were watching train from busan lol. Anyway thats kina odd.. Chest infection has no relation to heart arythmia or tachycardia....may i ask what parr of your chest is infected? Inner or outer? Do you have a wound or laceration in or on your chest? Im not a dr. But i can offer you advise to see or have an apptment with a cardio... There are meds that control heartbeats ... Mind you i have severe. Arythmia... Hope you get well soonest...

• Posted

hi thanks for response.well I was also told that the inflection could have effecting the heart muscle hence the fast heart rate.But also slightly scared too.Im constantly thinking that there is something wrong with my heart even though doctors and nurses assured me that there's not

• Posted

I also had no irregular heart beat they said I had a strong heart but was going crazy fir a while lol
  • Posted

Dear Kellyanne

Sorry to hear you felt unwell recently.

As I understand any infection we get can cause an increase in our heart rate as its our bodies way of trying ti self heal. If on top of that you were a little anxious too that would maje the increase even higher.

If you had a cause for your increase that has now subsided and you've been reassured your heart is structually ok hopefully you will not continue to suffer.

Good luck for the future

Gap

• Posted

Hi Kellyanne sorry to hear about your symptoms,

Look to be very fair with you don,t take it light because fast or slow heart beats are dangerous you need to do proper check up---Guys here are not docs but they can share there ecperiance what they feel or share the treatment of them by which they feel well---i have on and off problem of heart beats scape beats few i have done 10+ ecgs before and an echo 3 years back which come back normal--few weeks ago i eat  spicy food and in night time i have panic attack i feel shortness of breathe and feel dizzy and i burp alot next morning i go to cardiologist he do an ecg for me which was normal then he say to me walk on stairs for 3 mins then he do again for me ecg in which he see my heart beat become slow sinus pause------though its not to much but cardiologist say to monitor my heart for 24 hours with holter ecg machine so i have done one week ago 2 day back i get result which was 99% mean didnot show any major problem--my cardiologist says every one has1% problem some time fastsome time slow heart rate--i am happy but i discuss with my cardiologist that i wanna do echo which he say no need for that but on my insist he say ok Oct 28 come we do it for u i come home next day i have company routine check up i go they do blood test and when ecg turn will come they do ecg for me again the result is borderline ecg which make me confused i have holter ecg for 24 hours didnot show any problem but i have doubt bcoz when they are doing ecg for me i didnot feel any heart fast beats and while in ecg they remove the clip once they do it again any ways i was scared after 2 to 3 hours when i come home i go to my gp and discuss with him the problem he run for me ecg which ws completely normal he assured me that there is no problem----but i am still confused and waiting for 28 for my echo----------

If you really wanna confirm go to cardiologist discuss with cardiologist he or she will run for you an ecg but let me tell you one thing even if ecg is clear just insist for echo which will show ur heart structure and valve etc--i still remember 1 year ago my aunty didnot feel well we bring her to hospital they run for her ecg that is clear but she died after 5 mins of the ecg bcoz of heart attack-----so please don,t play with your life don,t take it light go to the doctor and make it confirm that there is no serious problem 

• Posted

Thanks for response and also thanks for scaring the crap out of me now my heart has definitely fast.my heart didn't skip a beat and it wasn't irregular.thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.