Fissure pain going on 10 months. Depressed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been dealing with a fissure since Dec of 2015. It started to heal then in July it got 100x worse. I also have spasm with my fissure. Pain was lasting up to 8 hrs. After a bowel movement. I received Botox a month ago and my pain level and #of hours was decreasing but it has recently ripped open again and I now have blood and pain is intense and up to 3 hrs. My quality of live is affected, I'm depressed from being in pain daily for this long. I've tried everything from baths, coconut oil, all the creams they prescribe. I even ended up in ER, delirious from the pain. I've changed my diet, but recently decided to add prune juice and activia. I'm desperate. I've even tried not eating (I KNOW that's bad), I just don't want to live like this any more. Help

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Stacey, exactly the same as you. Had botox 6 weeks ago and was worse after it. Had lis 3 days ago and better now than what i have been the last 12 months!!! Do not carry on as you are, back to the colo rectal surgeon and request the lis.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. What is lis? I called them this weekend and they said they'd see me Monday.

I found this site desperate for support from others who know what I'm going through. People try to be understanding and everyone has a suggestion for me but know one knows how terrible this is.

• Posted

Lateral internal sphincterotomy or a sphincterotomy. They make a small incision and cut a small piece of the muscle out to permanently relax it. Im 3 days post op and feeling fantastic considering. And bu the way, we do know how u feel we have all been there. Hope tomorrow they offer u what ive just had
    • Posted

I know it's an option for me. Originally I said no, after hearing the risk and they prefer not to do that until they've tried everything else. But the risks are better then what I'm going Through do tomorrow I'm praying they say yes!

• Posted

Agree stacey, would much rather live with the risk of shi**ing my self than the pain feom a fissure 🙈 Let us know tomorrow how u get on

• Posted

Hi.

Get a second opinion. You don't deserve to be in pain. In the meantime, drink soup or smoothies for 2 meals per day, and a normal meal with raw veggies and fruit. Drink 40-60oz of water per day too.

That way your stool is super soft and that will aid in healing.

Sitz bath 3-5 times a day and prep h. Ibuprofen after a bowel movement

• Posted

You have to go for the operation, The sphincterotomy. I was in the same position as you, and it was the only thing that worked for me. But bear in mind if you work, you may need 2 to 3 months off to recuperate. There is no way to know how much time off you need to recuperate until you have actually had the operation and you know how serious your reactions to it. After three months recuperating, I feel fine but have to be very careful for the next 2 to 3 years until I could be sure that was no problem. The pain all went and I can live normal life, but still have to be very careful about hygiene and about putting myself in positions where my anus might get hurt. So no bike riding.
  • Posted

If you are in menopause this might help you… I started Premarin which is an estrogen cream. I used it both vaginally once a week and then rubbed a very small amount directly on my fissure three times a week and I am 95% healed after just a couple of weeks. My fissure was caused by the drying out of tissue caused by menopause. Hope this helps. I suffered horribly for about a year and I understand your pain. So sorry.
  • Posted

I am attaching a post that I put on somebody else blog. In this post, I was recommending to the person to get the surgery, as well as other methods to try to try to ease your pain. I hope this helps you out and never give up. :

I would definately get it done, especially if you have dealt with it for a whole year. I had a chronic fissure, and after a month, decided to have the surgery. It was the best decision of my life. I am not going to lie to you, it is a bit painful right after surgery but if you can endure the pain of a fissure, it is not that much different. Within  the next two weeks post surgery, I progressively felt myself getting better, and by the 2nd week I went back to the doctor and he gave me the ok that I was all healed up.

I never had any incontinence, although the only thing I still have is that its a bit harder to hold in my farts sometimes, but that is it....As far as the gauze, I only changed it because I would leak sometimes..I ended up just buying adult diapers at the store and used those until I stopped leaking. 

As far as food after surgery, I just kept to a well balanced diet. I take metamucil fiber supplement every day since, and I squat on the toilet all the time now. Make sure not to take too much fiber as this can irritate the area.

Noone should  have to go thorugh anything like this, but thank god we have means to take care of it with surgery....

Also, Here are some suggestions I have for you to help you through:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

5. I would recommend getting a sphicteronomy surgery if htings dont get better. I waited it out, gave up, had the surgery, and was able to heal within about two weeks. I had a chronic fissure, so I knew where you are ocming from with v all the pain and discomfort.

Try listening to music to distract your mind a bit, especially when going to the bathroom. If you are in writing pain, distract yourself with a movie or TV show right after. Also, to prevent myself from screaming and from putting more stress in the area down  there, i bit down on a washcloth in order to make the tensions with my teeth instead of my sphicter muscle.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

Myles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.