Cystocele repair any on have one last more than 20 years with no further symptoms?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a successful rectocele and perineum repair in January this year.  my surgeon doesn't like to repair all prolapses at once especially as I'm 34 she didn't want to over tighten .

i have a cystocele that is mild but very uncomfortable . I want it repairing but I read a lot that these repairs don't last and stil leave a bulge. Anyone had a long lasting repair and no bulge or any further issues ? 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I'm 11 weeks post op bladder prolapse, had a new mesh put in dr. Said will last forever I'm 60 now so thatz good with me

• Posted

Has it resolved the symptoms and completely lifted your bulge ? 

My surgeon doesn't seem to like mesh. I will probably plan on getting the repair in 12 months when timing is better for me . I'm only 34 so worry about it lasting 

• Posted

Yes, om going on 3 mos,Started on estrogen cream I was just checked last week And he is absolutely very happy with the procedure There is nothing wrong with this new mesh My hospital bill was $94,000 I told him to do the best one that he can because I never wanted this to happen again He said this will never happen again it'll still be there when I'm dead and gone So I'm good with that

• Posted

What country are you? Surgeons have to have had specific training to use mesh and a register is kept in the U.K. of all patients who've had it. Some Surgeons don't want to admit they aren't trained to use it so rather than admit that they just say they don't like it. Any Urogynaecologist should be registered to use mesh. But not all Gynaecologists will be. That's also why you should only let a Urogynaecologist do pelvic floor surgery.

• Posted

I'm in the US we have to pay private insursnce surgery was 94 grand

• Posted

I'm in the uk my surgeon is a urogynecologist .she seems against mesh . She uses it for tvt and tot which ever one it is not sure. But not for a full vaginal wall repair 

• Posted

Oh WOW! Mine was paid fully by Medicsl Insurance and was around $20 grand NZD!
    • Posted

Oh yes it is mostly used for TVT or TOP, not for walls. That's done with sutures.

• Posted

I was to have anterior & posterior done at same time 11mths ago but Surgeons last quick visit on our way to theatre & he announced only going to do anterior as he didn't want "to make me too tight"! I was quite taken back. Had to just agree to that as no time to google & work out the percentage that that happens to. But I'm madly disappointed since waking up & starting to process the fact I've now gotta do it all again. I had mesh support and it's sposed to last a very long time. I have no fears over having mesh as the probs of dodgy mesh are long gone & sorted I think. I did have stress incontinence prior and prolapses. I'm not actually sure if anterior prolapse always also causes stress incontinence?

• Posted

when are you planning on your second repair ? I too am disappointed in only having one repaired at once as my surgeon said the same only I had the posterior repair. Was the mesh put all along your anterior wall or just to stop stress incontinance like a tvt? 

Has your bulge and symptoms gone now ? Do you feel ok ? 

• Posted

Hi. The mesh was put as a sling mid way up urethra (outside of it) to solve stress incontinence. Mine was called a TOP using mesh, so probably same as what a TVT is. Then he repaired anterior vag wall with sutures. My stress incontinence is pretty well gone. I can sneeze big and just stand there ordinary while doing one!! And all the other normal things that. Aided leakage don't anymore. At my 7wk check he said it was all healed. But I'm not convinced. Because I still have posterior prolapse maybe I'm not sure which bit up there is which. I want to go back in a few wks and get him to assess it all again as will be 1yr since anterior repair. Can get an appointment here pretty soon in NZ if you are having medical insurance pay full private care. I'm not sure when I will now consent to posterior repair. It's the nastier one of the two going by the threads on here!

• Posted

I didn't find the posterior repair that bad. The key thing is to prep your bowel before surgery . I took. Movicol sachets once a day 3 days prior to my op. To keep things soft . I managed my pain with codeine first few days then just paracetamol after that with ibuprofen to keep swelling at bay. 

My first bowel movement was uncomfortable but I didn't strain. Perineum repair was tender and sore to sit for a while. But honestly it wasn't that bad at all x

• Posted

I had a rectocele repair a year ago and had a very good recovery. The surgeon used porcine mesh. I developed a cyctocele after the birth of my first child nearly 25 years ago but after the birth of a very heavy second child I developed a rectocele which was causing far more problems than the cyctocele - every time I needed to open by bowel I had to push the back wall of my vagina to help.My surgeon must have thought the cyctocele wasn't severe enough then but for the last few weeks I've been feeling quite uncomfortable in that area especially when sitting. I'm wondering if it's time to go back to the Doctor.I have the added problem of having had some post menopausal bleeding investigated. The first biopsy using a pipelle was a bit uncomfortable, the follow up one after hormone treatment 2 weeks ago hurt much more and now they need to do another one using a hyteroscope! I'm dreading it but worry that the discomfort I'm getting it not due to the cystocele but something else!

• Posted

Was the vaginal canal tighter after your rectocele repair?
    • Posted

Well my husband has noticed a difference! I've not found sex uncomfortable at all since the operation. I expect it would be tighter still if I had the cyctocele repaired but I had a verood surgeon and I'm sure any good Dr would make sure you'd be "comfortable" afterwords.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.